diy solar

diy solar

INVERTER CONNECTED TO RV BREAKER BOX

Rickp83

How should I tie my inverter directly to my existing RV breaker panel?

Should I add another switch and name that “inverter”? Much like the main switch from shore power... ?

hello

are you going to run everything in your rv from the inverter or just one or 2 plugs

what I did was install a go power 30 amp transfer switch

i also have to separate the electrical panel 12 volt inverter battery charger so it doesn’t charge the batteries while the battery inverter is turned on ,

just look up go power 30 amp transfer switch and look at the manual

let me know if this helps

Thank you very much. That’s a huge help. Specially the part on isolating the 12v charger. I have a battleborn battery so I’ll need a lithium AC to DC charger correct?

Your correct on needing another ac/dc charger kind of

the battle born where drop in compatible with most ac/dc charges , as far as i understand , you can email/call them and you can confirm this , but that’s what they advertise

the go power 30amp transfer switch can be ordered prewired so there a plug on the relay box that you plug in the ac/dc charger , also known as a deck charger , so any time the rv is on shore power the charger works but not on inverter power which Is what you want to avoid

a cheap simple way I did it is to separated the 120 ac power wire in my panel for the panel battery inverter charger part , it was wired to a breaker with my a/c unit , it varies by rv , I moved the a/c wire to another breaker and left the charger on its own breaker ,

so when I am on shore power I leave the breaker on , when on inverter power I flip the breaker off , cheap and easy , as long as you remember to flip the breaker when needed

the manual for the go power which I liked better explains about disconnecting the built in battery charger on the panel ,

As a alternative which would make things easy for would be to wire the charger built into the panel to only be active on shore power via wiring from the relay box - the manual shows you how to do this , you will need to do some extra wiring and install a fuse/break

as far as I know please confirm with battle born your rv built in battery charger is fully compatible with the battery , so your only cost is the relay transfer switch and wires from the inverter to relay ( instructions will tell you what you need)

hope this helps ,as Usual Safety first

I also want to wire my 2200 inverter to my power center. My toyhauler was prewired for an onan gen set. It’s never had one, but the basement compartment for it has an ac junction box with 10/3 romex ran and connected to a box labeled gen/line switch on the power unit. This compartment will house my 4 gc2 batteries. I don’t know If the switch is auto or not. I am sure I must disable the converter, to make this work. Thinking of interrupting power wire to converter with a light switch type switch. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Back