diy solar

diy solar

Inverter connection?

Trims63

I recently had installed a 3 phase solar system with a Huawei Solar 2000 Tl 6k M1 inverter. I had an electrician connect to the grid. I am not sure it is wired correctly. Should the inverter be connected to the main grid power lines running from the meter? It looks to me like he has connected it to a three phase line coming from the house electric panel to run the 3 phase pool pump. I querry it because the App for montering the system is not giving me any inforamtion other than PV yeild. Not consumption etc, SMART meter is connected correctly so I should be getting the info. Regards for any advice .

You have three phase in your house? Really?

With the exception of maybe some local electrical codes, it really doesn't matter where your solar feeds into. If the solar makes more energy than the house uses, it will back feed into the grid and your meter will see reverse power flow.

My solar feeds into a sub panel, which then feeds back to the main panel in my home, which then feeds out to the meter.

A requirement of your new grid-tied solar should have included not only an electrical inspection by your local authority, but it should have also required your power company to come out and reprogram your meter.

You have three phase in your house? Really?

With the exception of maybe some local electrical codes, it really doesn't matter where your solar feeds into. If the solar makes more energy than the house uses, it will back feed into the grid and your meter will see reverse power flow.

My solar feeds into a sub panel, which then feeds back to the main panel in my home, which then feeds out to the meter.

A requirement of your new grid-tied solar should have included not only an electrical inspection by your local authority, but it should have also required your power company to come out and reprogram your meter.
Thanks for the info. The inverters set to not feed into the grid until approved. The electrician is doing the paperwork, i was just curious why he wired to to the pool pump 3 phase line when the higher gauge main line is along side it. Im in Spain a lot of larger houses have 3 phase.

Picture would help. Usually a grid tie inverter will be connected near the bottom of the main panel opposite the mains connected at the top. Yes usually connected to the panel with separate breaker. Depending on circuit size and use all might be fine.

I wish 3 phase was common in the US.

Picture would help. Usually a grid tie inverter will be connected near the bottom of the main panel opposite the mains connected at the top. Yes usually connected to the panel with separate breaker. Depending on circuit size and use all might be fine.

The inverter has its own breaker box and one on the Pv panels. I thought it would logical to tap into the main in line, rather than the pool pump line.

People would die lol, we can't handle 240v.

In the UK all streets are fed 3 phase and each house is connected to 1 phase, so every third house is on the same phase.
Also in all built up area's the wiring is underground. Only remote homes etc are fed above ground.
It shocked me the mess of wiring hanging around in the USA, and traffic light's hanging off wires between poles. Very quaint lol.

The inverter has its own breaker box and one on the Pv panels. I thought it would logical to tap into the main in line, rather than the pool pump line.
The main line is designed for the full power from the meter. Adding more power could overload as both would feed the main panel with combined power. If you have 100 amp mains and 20 amp solar connection to opposite ends of the panel the electric can be distributed through the bus without overload.

Just an Update and another question. They have rewired the entire system so the inverter is now connected to the mains input as per the installation instructions. The original electrician made some major errors which required a complete refit and a new Power Sensor, which he damaged, its been dealt with and the certification. Now they have replaced the Huawei Power Sensor another problem has arisen.

I don't think the power sensor and the inverter are calibrated correctly as the panel power output readings are showing directly proportional to the amount of power being drawn from the grid. The more power I make the more I draw from the grid.

I would expect it to inversely proportional i.e. more power I make the less power I draw from the grid proportionately.

The grid input is consistently about 33% of the power made by the panels, if a cloud appears and the output drops from say 5 Kwh to 1 Kwh the house hold load (according to the inverter software) decreases proportionately. The household load is being shown regardless of the actual load as a combination of the power made and the grid input from the grid in a 66% to 33% average.

Hope you can envisage this, I'll attach images. Personally I think the inverter is configured wrong, when I read the actual KW figure of household usage on the power sensor it reads about what I would expect from the power we are using at the time and bears no resemblance to the inverter software figures. There's no way we are using 7Kw of power, the power sensor is only indicating about 2.1Kw. I would be grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• 1-2kw.jpeg
    1-2kw.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 48.jpeg
    48.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Capture33.JPG
    Capture33.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20220312-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20220312-WA0008.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 3
Personally I think the inverter is configured wrong, when I read the actual KW figure of household usage on the power sensor it reads about what I would expect from the power we are using at the time and bears no resemblance to the inverter software figures. There's no way we are using 7Kw of power, the power sensor is only indicating about 2.1Kw.
For a large house 7kw is easy to do.

Either its a configuration error or a labeling error in the monitoring software.
Recommend you reach out to the installer have them out to go over your questions as it seems the system has already had a number of install errors.

Back