diy solar

diy solar

Inverter different voltage to windlass / winches

ArranP

The boat will use a 48V battery to power the Inverter, however the Winches & Windlass operate on 24V, so I can see 2 possible solutions :

1. install a 24V battery and a 48V battery
2. install a 48V battery and 48V-24V step-down DC-DC converter

I am uncertain which way to go and welcome thoughts / comments.

The boat will use a 48V battery to power the Inverter, however the Winches & Windlass operate on 24V, so I can see 2 possible solutions :

1. install a 24V battery and a 48V battery
2. install a 48V battery and 48V-24V step-down DC-DC converter

I am uncertain which way to go and welcome thoughts / comments.

Winches and Windlass are likely very high current items with high surge currents. It is unlikely you can find an affordable 48-24V converter that could handle the current.

Please determine the Amperage requirements for those items.

My gut says that you'll need a hearty 24V battery and a DC-DC charger to top it off from the 48V.

Winches and Windlass are likely very high current items with high surge currents. It is unlikely you can find an affordable 48-24V converter that could handle the current.

Please determine the Amperage requirements for those items.

My gut says that you'll need a hearty 24V battery and a DC-DC charger to top it off from the 48V.
Thank you...

the motors are about 2kw... I've seen some DCDC converter can do 500-1000watts and believe it is possible to parallel them

Again, what is the surge current of the motors in question? It's not uncommon for the surge to be 4-10X higher than the run current.

I'm assuming this is very important equipment that is essential to the operation of the vessel. I would not be inclined to trust ali sourced hardware that is likely to short out or go into protection mode the first time you try to use it, and it never starts the motor.

That looks like an interesting product.

However, I was asking about what the manuals for the Windlass and Winch say about surge current. Motors are notorious for having huge surge currents and I would be worried that it would exceed 100A. (My guess is the buck converter you linked to would not handle much of a surge.

If this were for non-critical devices I would be less concerned, but I would want to be damn sure I can hoist the anchor when I want to leave that isolated inlet that I overnighted in.

Again, what is the surge current of the motors in question? It's not uncommon for the surge to be 4-10X higher than the run current.

I'm assuming this is very important equipment that is essential to the operation of the vessel. I would not be inclined to trust ali sourced hardware that is likely to short out or go into protection mode the first time you try to use it, and it never starts the motor.
You and I are thinking along the same lines.

It should be quite feasible to rewind the motors for 48V.
IIRC, you would need more coils, but of thinner wire, so they should fit.
Ask a rewinding shop. If it's possible, an added advantage would be halving the current needed.

Back