diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Disconnect with Pre-Charge

Some say a second, some say 5 seconds. It's whatever works. I just hit mine a few times just to ensure I charged the caps to prevent any arc.

I think much depends on the resistor used, I used the 50 ohm in the original precharge thread.
When my "real" cells arrive I'll be using REC A BMS's with their precharge module. Think those default to 11 seconds. Doubt I'll be that patient holding a switch manually.

I don't have a separate disconnect for my inverter, but I use a pre-charge circuit on my primary DC disconnect between the batteries and the bus bar. When reconnecting power, I just press the button long enough to see the led's on all my DC stuff start blinking (a few seconds), so I know the invertor capacitors are charged at that point. For this approach, you just want to make sure you don't have any significant loads on the DC side turned on when pre-charging. The pre-charge button and resister are mounted in the little black box under the main switch.

1627918075981.png

I don't have a separate disconnect for my inverter, but I use a pre-charge circuit on my primary DC disconnect between the batteries and the bus bar. When reconnecting power, I just press the button long enough to see the led's on all my DC stuff start blinking (a few seconds), so I know the invertor capacitors are charged at that point. For this approach, you just want to make sure you don't have any significant loads on the DC side turned on when pre-charging. The pre-charge button and resister are mounted in the little black box under the main switch.

View attachment 58515
Like the idea of looking for the LED's as confirmation that the pre charging is actively occurring. Toyed with the push button option, but already have the switches in hand so that is where I'll start.

What is your backer material that the equipment is mounted to?

What is your backer material that the equipment is mounted to?
It's a 1/2" resin coated plywood.

It's really good to work with and has a nice looking finish. I thought it was a little pricey when I bought it back in march, but I think it was cheaper than what standard plywood is running now. I had to drive to houston to get it, couldn't find any in austin area.

Everything except the batteries and invertor are just screwed into the plywood. For the batteries, I fabricated a steel support structure behind the plywood and the inverter bracket uses some rivnuts into the van wall frame. The invertor probably would have been fine just through bolted to the plywood, but the batteries are about 250lbs total and needed structural support.

It's a 1/2" resin coated plywood.

It's really good to work with and has a nice looking finish. I thought it was a little pricey when I bought it back in march, but I think it was cheaper than what standard plywood is running now. I had to drive to houston to get it, couldn't find any in austin area.

Everything except the batteries and invertor are just screwed into the plywood. For the batteries, I fabricated a steel support structure behind the plywood and the inverter bracket uses some rivnuts into the van wall frame. The invertor probably would have been fine just through bolted to the plywood, but the batteries are about 250lbs total and needed structural support.
Is that resin coating heat/fire rated in any way, or just for looks? Sure looks nice! Can't see any discussion on that site of whether it will handle the heat from the components.

s that resin coating heat/fire rated in any way, or just for looks? Sure looks nice! Can't see any discussion on that site of whether it will handle the heat from the components
I don't think I've ever seen a rating on it, but the coating is a phenolic resin, which is generally good with the heat. Almost certainly rated higher than the wood behind it.

I don't think I've ever seen a rating on it, but the coating is a phenolic resin, which is generally good with the heat. Almost certainly rated higher than the wood behind it.

Just ordered a sheet. Even if I don't use it for the battery install, will find somewhere to try it out!

Thanks much

Great manual. Really appreciate you sharing it. Your idea of rotary switch is the best. Pre-Charge will be always placed if the user follows an error indicating the power on order.
Great work

Great manual. Really appreciate you sharing it. Your idea of rotary switch is the best. Pre-Charge will be always placed if the user follows an error indicating the power on order.
Great work
Thought it was your idea, you just reposted what should be a link for a resource. FilterGuy is the one that deservers the credit.

Back