diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Error

scalabroni97

I am trying to power a camper entirely with solar. I have a Renogy 3000w pure sine wave inverter directly wired from the ground, neutral, and load posts to a 30 amp camper outlet. When I plug the campers shore power (which is for 110/125v, 60hz, 30 amp supply) into the outlet, the inverter gets an error.

Do I need a bigger inverter to support 30 amps?
Do I need to disconnect the converter in the camper? I've attached a picture of the converter inside my camper.

Attachments

• IMG_3614.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 10
Do I need a bigger inverter to support 30 amps?
3000 ac watts / 120 volts = 25 amps
Do I need to disconnect the converter in the camper?
If the converter and inverter are both connected to the same 12 volt dc power domain you will get a power loop.
So either disconnect it or wire it so it doesn't conflict with the inverter.
I see a 50 amp breaker, is this a 50 amp rv?
I've attached a picture of the converter inside my camper.
All it shows is a converter and 1 breaker.
Are you hiding something?

Last edited:
I believe it is a 30 amp camper based on the label and shore plug.

The inverter beeps and turns on a red LED when I plug the camper in. It means: "The red indicator turns on as the inverter shuts down due to overheating, overload, under voltage, or over voltage."

The inverter has 3 outlets on it, rated at 15 amps each. Could something like this work to get 30 amps?

Attachments

• IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3746.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 5
I believe it is a 30 amp camper based on the label and shore plug.
That is an 30 amp rv plug.
The inverter beeps and turns on a red LED when I plug the camper in. It means: "The red indicator turns on as the inverter shuts down due to overheating, overload, under voltage, or over voltage."
Well... that suggests your are overloading the inverter.
Try disabling the converter.
They are usually on their own breaker.

The inverter has 3 outlets on it, rated at 15 amps each. Could something like this work to get 30 amps?
Not sure what you intend to do with that.
Is this your RV?
I ask because you don't seem to know whether it is a 30 or 50 amp rv.

Typically the ac side of the inverter integration looks like this.

jayhocking_alt_bypass-ac.jpg

What batteries are you powering the inverter from and how long/what gauge are the wires feeding the inverter? Post some photos of the setup...

Your pic shows a Powermax converter (converts 120V AC to 12V DC), yet you are asking about a Renogy 3000W inverter (inverts 12V DC to 120V AC).

All of your statements sound like you are confusing the two devices:

This inverter take battery power and converts it to 120V AC.
120V x 30A = 3600W
Your 3000W Renogy may handle 3600W for a second or two as “surge current”.

Your pic shows a Powermax converter (converts 120V AC to 12V DC), yet you are asking about a Renogy 3000W inverter (inverts 12V DC to 120V AC).

All of your statements sound like you are confusing the two devices:

This inverter take battery power and converts it to 120V AC.
120V x 30A = 3600W
Your 3000W Renogy may handle 3600W for a second or two as “surge current”.
If its a discrete inverter that would be ~20 milli seconds.

If its a discrete inverter that would be ~20 milli seconds.
I think the Renogy is a discrete inverter but that’s a bit of a guess.

The pictured converter is a converter/charger:

So the question about the error on the Renogy inverter (is this right), is what are you doing when this happens and what is the error code?

If trying to pull 30A AC from a 3000W inverter, it is expected to have an overload error.

What is actually turned on in the camper? Just because it is a 30A plug doesn't mean the camper is drawing 30 amps.

On my camper, I have an adaptor and plug it into a 15 amp outlet. I can run everything in the camper without tripping the breaker on that circuit. Well .... maybe not if I tried to run the microwave and AC at the same time, but never do that while it is in the driveway.

There is a Renogy 3000 watt inverter and there is a Renogy 3000 watt inverter/charger. Because you have a separate charger I assume you are talking about just a simple inverter.

The inverter alone has no transfer switch. I hope you are not just tieing shore power and inverter AC output in parallel.

You need to provide your own transfer switch to switch between inverter output and shore power. The transfer switch should have a time delay of a few seconds since the phase between inverter and shore power are randomly different. Things like a refrig will not like having their AC input phase make a sudden shift. Normally the transfer switch activates when shore power appears on its input causing it to switch your loads from inverter output to shore power.

Back