diy solar

diy solar

Inverter for Valance Batteries

Julaney

I am looking at purchasing two used Valence U-Charge RT Series U1-12RT LifePo4 12V 40Ah 512wh batteries (connected in parallel to get 12V 80ah). I currently own a Zamp Solar USP1003 180-Watt Folding Portable Solar System that includes a 5 stage 15 amp digital controller. Can someone recommend the proper inverter for this system? I plan to charge a Macbook Pro so I read a pure sine wave inverter is recommended. I am considering the Giandel Pure Sine Wave 1200 W inverter but don't know if the additional wattage would have negative impact. Please pass on any other issues you may see with this configuration. I am new at this and on tight budget. While I am open to less expensive batteries, this system will be inside a tent so I have to consider the health concerns with other options.

While I am open to less expensive batteries, this system will be inside a tent so I have to consider the health concerns with other options.
So that we can help you better, please expand on the health concerns?

Inverters are sized based on the load.
See my signature for a helpful link to help you complete your energy audit.
If you only load is the Macbook Pro then the Giandel inverter is overkill.
This should suffice https://www.donrowe.com/Samlex-PST-300-12-p/pst-300-12.htm

Yes outgassing is the concern. I will be using the system for more than just the Macbook. Just wanted to include why a pure not modified sine wave inverter.

I plan to charge a Macbook Pro so I read a pure sine wave inverter is recommended.
Can you run all 12v items for your tent and just use a car charger adapter to power your Macbook? That would be the least expensive solution I can think of.

The max output of two Valence RT batteries in parallel is 60 amps. I would size the inverter based on that,

I don't know if you want 1,000Wh/80Ah for runtime or because of the demands of the devices that you want to power. The one device that you mention - a MacBook Pro - is not demanding. If you're using the inverter inside a tent, and don't need more than 300W (600W peak), have a look at Morningstar's SureSine 300 inverter. It's built like a tank, it's been on the market for 14 years and it's silent. No fan.

I'm setting up the same battery that you're using with this inverter, which I've chosen because I want quiet operation and because it has an excellent reputation. The makers of inverters make no serious effort to control fan noise. There's basic info about the SureSine in posts, 1, 2, 15 and 17 of this thread: Setting Up a Lithium Battery (Lithium Werks Valence) for DC and AC Power

Three things to note. The SureSine isn't light. It weighs 10lbs because it dissipates heat with a heat sink rather than a fan. Secondly, you have to add an AC outlet yourself. Thirdly, there are many 300W inverters that are cheaper.

Last edited:
Back