Inverter generator or generator ?

Steve_S

Offgrid Cabineer, N.E. Ontario, Canada
Generally for Battery Charging purposes it does not really matter "that much". The trick is to ensure the genset can stay within the correct frequency range (57-62hz) for North American power compatibility. 47-52hz for EU.

If your Inverter/Charger is also doing Pass-Through power to "house AC" while charging, then you will get Mod Sine passing through and THAT isn't good. Motors (fridge compressor , water pumps etc) will strain with Mod-Sine and of course there are electronics issues too that can arise.

IF possible, it is best to use a Pure Sine Inverter Genset, especially if you are using Pass-Through AC and running equipment that may be affected by less clean wave forms such as Mod-Sine.

I am not aware of any modern Generators using Square Sine (that s REALLY bad), they are typically Mod Sine or Pure Sine (Inverter generator).

AN ASIDE: If using a Generator to charge, pending on charger capacity.
My Inverter/Charger (Samlex) can deliver 100A Charge to 24V bank (programmable) but that only pulls <33A / <3800W at 120V.

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Great info! Thank you!

I think I can select the source in my unit. I have to look & I am slammed. But basically if I am thinking correctly, I can tell the unit to use the battery always. So it would not be passing AC through.

I rented a 2000w generator for the weekend & when my compressor would turn on the compressor would over draw fault. I had to keep restating. Thats why I was thinking about the settings. Just haven't had the time to play with it.

I have some more generator related questions I'll start a new thread for.