diy solar

diy solar

Inverter goes ON and OFF when batteries get low

DixieMtCR

When my batteries in my off grid system reach the inverter shutoff voltage, the inverter does what it is supposed to do. It shuts off.

But when the voltage creeps back up with no load, the inverter comes on again. The battery voltage drops, and the inverter shuts off again.

Is there a way to stop this action. It is not real good on electronics to have the power going on and off several times a minute.

Thanks in advance for some useful advice.
Ken

Inverters have two settings associated with low voltage disconnect:

1) At what voltage does it cut off.
2) At what voltage does it power back up (recovery voltage).

If these numbers are programmable on your inverter, raise #2 to something you can only hit once charging is initiated.

If you can't program these numbers, you're stuck.

Is there a way to stop this action.

The inverter is doing its job; the problem is insufficient power to run it.
  • increase charging power (more solar, hydro, wind, or whatever you're using)
  • reduce loads
  • adjust inverter settings per @sunshine_eggo, or replace the inverter with one that can adjusted

When my batteries in my off grid system reach the inverter shutoff voltage

Well, unless you have that programmed to an irrational value, you should not let that happen.
Turn on the generator before it does that. Watch your voltage.

Is there a way to stop this action. It is not real good on electronics to have the power going on and off several times a minute.
Comment #1) I use the AUX1 (external relay control) of my Midnite Classic charge controller to control my inverter. The on/off is programmable and includes a voltage range - which avoids this.
1641748687531.png
You probably don't have a Midnite, but the concept can be accomplished using other equipment such as computer controller remote relay + voltage monitor.

Comment #2) For 24v/12v systems there are "Battery Guards" like the Samlex BG 200 that offer a way to control the on/off range - like this: https://www.samlex.com/product/bg-200/ A stand-alone / you choose from pre-fixed ranges to accomplish the same ting as comment #1

Comment #3) There's probably some range (low cut-off, a bit higher turn on) built into the inverter... and if you double or triple (etc) your battery bank it will sag less under load and rebound less. You might get it aligned with this inverter OR even get a different inverter with a wider range?

Had a similar problem with my 12v fridge. Doubling the feed wire size solved it.

Back