diy solar

diy solar

Inverter going off and back on

SD747

OK, need advice please.
System is: Renogy 100w x4, Wanderer 30a pwm, buss bars connect controller, 3 batteries, and cheap Lvyuan 1000w pure sine, all using 10awg. Also today hooked a Bestek 500w mod sine inverter direct to 1 battery. Main system load is LED TV 70W and Room Fan 60W on the Lvyuan, direct battery to Bestek to AM FM 85W. System all <1yr old.
Midday, full sun. 19.4v 3.03a 58w now in BOOST. And whole system shut down and immediately restarted. This happens mostly at peak sun, but has happened repeatedly in late afternoon.
My take is when the controller goes into Boost, there is an overload and shut down of both inverters. And I'm surprised the Bestek is affected since it is hooked directly to a battery.
Comments are welcomed, please
Thanks
SD

Last edited:
Lifepo batteries? Are they full? The BMS' could be shutting the batteries down to prevent overcharging.

Do you know what the charge voltage is set at ?

What volts does your battery read in boost ?

If the Lvyuan is connected to the load terminals of the wanderer that can cause problems. I know you're not pulling that much of a load right now, but the output on the wanderer isn't strong enough to support an inverter. Whatever power anomoly is happening could be made worse by the input capacitors in the Lvyuan. Best to have that connected directly to the batteries as well.

SamG340: Wanderer is nonadjust. Boost around 19v at Battery 14v
sollap: buss bars are, pin 1-controller, pin 2-3 batteries, pin 4 to inverter

sollap you're saying load terminals there are battery terminals, not any load. Guess that's the same thing?

Some of the wanderers have 6 terminals - 2 for batt, 2 for PV, and 2 for "load". Yours may not have the load terminals. When you made the point that the Bestek is hooked directly to a battery, I assumed that meant the Lvyuan was connected to the wanderer. If you could attach a rough sketch of how things are connected it might help.

I see. Mine is no load terminals. Don't know how to sketch but Lvyuan is last connection on buss connection #4. Controller is connection #1. Batteries are connection #2 and #3. So juice runs fm controller to connection #1 thru buss, charging batts (#2#3), and to last connection #4 to inverter. And Bestek is just clamped direct on terminals of 1 battery and not in the system.

2 Busses are 4 connection + an -

That sounds like it should work. Does it operate normally if one of the inverters is disconnected? Your loads are light enough that they should be able to run on one inverter.

Some days no problem. Few days ago about 5pm went off/on 4 times in 15 minutes. Bestek put on today just to use on FM and while hooked direct to battery, it went off too. Not too big a deal, but can't be good on TV when it happens.
I checked all connections etc and just can't isolate the problem. I still think it has to do with peak in voltage and inverter cutting out due to that.
But Bestek direct on batt really threw me.

I agree with you. The battery should have been enough to keep the Bestek stable. I would try disconnecting the Lvyuan to see if the problem persists.

Thanks sollap for your recommendations. Going to go, have chores to do. Will check this thread later tonight.
Yes, I guess I'll have to start isolating components - what a pain, ha.
Thanks again
SD

Thanks sollap for your recommendations. Going to go, have chores to do. Will check this thread later tonight.
Yes, I guess I'll have to start isolating components - what a pain, ha.
Thanks again
SD

10 awg wire for the connection to the batteries and to the inverters ?

What kind of crimp tools do you have available to use for the connections?

All 10awg and using a lower cost striper/crimp tool fm Amazon. I check connections when I crimp for good and tight.

All 10awg and using a lower cost striper/crimp tool fm Amazon. I check connections when I crimp for good and tight.

Back