diy solar

diy solar

Inverter input breaker question

Let's see, you have 480 amp hours of lead batteries, meaning you shouldn't be using more than about 240 amp hours from them. A 1500 watt space heater will need perhaps 160 amps or a little more to allow for inverter and wire losses, so your system will run that heater for about an hour and a half.

Even less when you consider Peukert effect.

Let's see, you have 480 amp hours of lead batteries, meaning you shouldn't be using more than about 240 amp hours from them. A 1500 watt space heater will need perhaps 160 amps or a little more to allow for inverter and wire losses, so your system will run that heater for about an hour and a half.

Unless that's your plan your system is really undersized for the size of the inverter and your desired load. both in amp hours of storage and panels.
thank you, running the space heater is for the day, like i mentioned it is a test system

Once you exceed a certain amperage (say 180 amps), your selection of DC breakers becomes very limited. For that reason, many implementations are using fuses instead of breakers.

I'm putting in a 2400 watt inverter that calls for a 400 amp fuse. I'm unlikely to ever draw that much, maybe not even half that amperage. I'm putting in a 300 amp MEGA fuse with the appropriate fuse holder. I'm buying extra 300 amps fuses as well as some 400 amp fuses, just in case.

Victron Energy 400 amp MEGA fuse
Victron Energy MEGA fuse holder

You have gotten schooled on wire and breakers but no body has mentioned that you probably are pushing those batteries with the 100 amp draw. If you were needing 150 amps for motor start up that is one thing but a continuous draw is another. You should check your battery specs.

Once you exceed a certain amperage (say 180 amps), your selection of DC breakers becomes very limited. For that reason, many implementations are using fuses instead of breakers.

I'm putting in a 2400 watt inverter that calls for a 400 amp fuse. I'm unlikely to ever draw that much, maybe not even half that amperage. I'm putting in a 300 amp MEGA fuse with the appropriate fuse holder. I'm buying extra 300 amps fuses as well as some 400 amp fuses, just in case.

Victron Energy 400 amp MEGA fuse
Victron Energy MEGA fuse holder
Thank you for the information. If I make this more permanent I will look at fuses. I bought a 250 amp breaker, so if that does not work, well it is a learning project

As long as you don't push it, that should work. I wouldn't trust it above 200 amps, maybe not even that much.

I have a similar 150 amp circuit breaker on my 1000 watt inverter. It's a no-name breaker. I've pushed my little inverter hard a couple times, just to see what it would do. The inverter shutdown (went into overload mode) without the breaker tripping. That's probably the correct result as the breaker is rated for more amps than the inverter should ever be capable of drawing. The 150 amp breaker is what the manual recommended for the length of cable I used.

I would not use that breaker. Cheap crap that is not trustworthy. I used a Blue Sea 250A (model 7270) breaker before I went to a bigger system.

7270.jpg

Simple answer. 3500W inverter at 12 volts? The 12V cable must be sized to carry 300 amperes. For safety reasons, no matter the load. The distance from the battery to inverter, voltage drop will determine that cable size. I suspect at least 4/0 cable. If very short distance maybe 2/0 cable. 2/0 cable requires a 300A fuse. Using 4/0 cable allows a 400A fuse. Use a fuse. Circuit breakers do not like high DC amperes.
Sell the 12V 3500W inverter and get one appropriately sized for 12 volts.

Back