diy solar

diy solar

Inverter issues on trailer

Ct1781

Today I completed the first step of my solar install. New torklift battery box with (4) 6 volt Trojan t-105’s. So I had everything wired up and the last thing to connect was the inverter cables (aims 2500w 12v) they are 1/0 with clean terminals. My mistake was in my haste and being tired I hooked up the negative cable first then positive. Small spark but nothing more after that. When I went to test the systems, DC worked but my inverter would not come on. Only a regular beeping. So I’m concerned I either blew my 300 amp fuse with the spark (seems unlikely) or I have some other issue. All were functioning correctly prior to battery swap. All battery connections are with 2/0 cables.

An initial connection to an inverter can cause a very large inrush of current to pre-charge the capacitors. This may be well above 300A. It's worth checking your fuse.

Recommendations are to use a power resistor in series to make the initial connection with the inverter off. This limits the total current. Once you remove the resistor and make the permanent connection, there is no spark.

If you reversed the inverter dc connection, there may be fuses inside the inverter that popped. Although it could cause permanent damage to the inverter.

Regular beeping means some ICs have power and are functioning.
Check voltage. You have a 12V inverter and four, 6V batteries, presumably 2s2p.
Could be some connection issue. Temperature sensor required? External controls? Error? Need for initial programming?
RTFM. Probably has an explanation for the pattern of beeps.

Thanks everyone. So batteries were a bit low but inverter was on power save so wouldn’t come on unless load detected. Got the correct settings and charge settings now. Appreciate all the help. I went through one by one until I found the issue

Reactions: Zil
Back