diy solar

diy solar

Inverter life expectancy.

MrAubin

I thought if every owning a 12/24/36/48 Volt inverter or inverter's, could tell us which model of inverter and how long you've been using it for. Also a general daily draw would be great. This could be useful for people choosing battery inverters to have a list like this.

Inverters only come in one Battery voltage, there are no 12/24/48 capable models. note, no 36V ?
The Grade/Tier makes a HUGE difference of course, low cost "Value Grade" is what it is. When you get up to Tier-1 products like Victron, Schneider, Samlex etc you are paying more & getting exactly what you are paying for. There is a wide variety of equipment such a Low Frequency or High Frequency inverters, fanless & with fans etc etc etc....

Use Cases, Applications, Depth of Service Use (how much capacity is being used) down to Environmental Conditions (desert to tropics to arctic) also will immediately impact the lifecycle of the equipment.

The "Key Trick" is to look at the longevity of a company, the product grade/tier level and overal reputation. For example, Victron, Samlex, Schneider have been around a Long Time and are Tier-1 and do last + have excellent support & service (and I mean excellent) are a pretty safe bet.

Sadly the ask for a List is a Tough one and not likely to be populated.

I've seen inverters on Amazon claiming 36 volts. And no I didn't mean a single inverter that does all 4 voltages. I specified 4 different voltages. And this won't be a list now. Also I said battery inverters most of those victron and must models are solar charge controllers/ inverters. That's not also not what I meant 12 volt, wow lots of typing, 24 volt, 36 volt because I saw one for sale and 48 volt. If Thiers no 36 volt just say it's false advertising. This is why I asked people what inverter they have and how long they've had it. So people can see what lasts how long.

What I've asked is very simple and would only take a few seconds of anyone's time to answer what inverter they have and how old it is. That's all.

And frequently asked questions had 7 topics it would be really easy for people to find. And super useful.

I have an EPever IP2000 on my 24V battery system. It's been holding up well for a few months. No complaints, so far. I bought it because I had been using an EPever Tracer-AN 20A charge controller and it seemed solid. Interestingly, not long after I purchased the inverter, the Tracer-AN 20A died, a few days after its one year anniversary. I'm running on a Tracer-AN 40A I had also purchased, for a larger array I intend to build, but now I have no backup, and no charge controller when I build the 2nd array. I've been pondering what to do next, and hoping the failure doesn't turn into a pattern.

I run an off-grid system using dual 12,000w AIMS (ETL) 48v inverters - since May 2018 - so a bit over 3 years now. They run on a daily cycle - on after the battery charges up bit and then off when the sun goes down / battery hits the low-cut-off.

2018 - 2,940 kwh
2019 - 8,932 kwh
2020 - 15,013 kwh
2021 - 10,345 kwh so far
-------------------
Total 37,320 kwh produced/consumed so far.

That's 'roughly' spit 60/40 between the 2 AIMS inverters.

1628799294069.png

Last edited:
I'm using a AIMS 6KW 24V 120/240V inverter/charger since 2019, I turn it on every morning and cut it off at night, ran flawless through -40 temperatures to 115 degrees. Had to use a fan on it when I was using the charging at 110 degrees cause it would cut off but that's understandable. My next one will be a Magnum 4448 since they are stackable up to 4 units.

36V exists but not commonly used.

Samlex EVO-4024 PureSine Inverter Charger: 5 years running. *Dual 120VAC Input with built-in ATS + features
Yiyen APC 3024 PureSine Inverter Charger: 2 years running.
No issues with either. Both are 120VAC Output & 120VAC Input for charging.
operating 7/24/365 OffGrid.

48V MPP LV6548's in parallel. Since March 2021, pushing about 2KW during the day.
Also SMA SunnyBoy SB 3000 US and SB6000 US Grid tie since 2008. Between 2-6KWh during the day.

I'm using a AIMS 6KW 24V 120/240V inverter/charger since 2019, I turn it on every morning and cut it off at night, ran flawless through -40 temperatures to 115 degrees. Had to use a fan on it when I was using the charging at 110 degrees cause it would cut off but that's understandable. My next one will be a Magnum 4448 since they are stackable up to 4 units.
Wonder if you have checked out the other inverters that stack, too. Like Victron, Outback, and Schinder? and why the Magnum other than it can be stacked?

AIMS inverters are okay, I have one myself. One thing: the big ones are "low frequency" types with a big heavy transformer in one end. That transformer runs hot even with no load. The inverter's internal fans don't turn on until a certain load or temperature is reached. I've found that the one thing you can do to these inverters: if it's not kept in a well air-conditioned room, add a fan to the outside, blowing continuously over the vent holes in the sides. It helps keep the beast cool especially on hot days.

had my MPP solar MPI 10K running for over 5 years without issue, until i sold my house and the inverters and battery pack with it....
That was a year and a half ago ; to the best of my Knowledge they are still running fine.

had my MPP solar MPI 10K running for over 5 years without issue, until i sold my house and the inverters and battery pack with it....
That was a year and a half ago ; to the best of my Knowledge they are still running fine.
Just curious - was it difficult to sell the home with this equipment? Was the buyer a solar enthusiast perhaps?

Will just posted a new video with two LV6548's in split phase, for 13KW. I am using the same models in the same config. Glad to hear yours lasted 10 years, and still going strong!

Wonder if you have checked out the other inverters that stack, too. Like Victron, Outback, and Schinder? and why the Magnum other than it can be stacked?
Schneiders can't be stacked unless you get the hybrid one which cost twice as much, Victron and Outback are more expensive per a watt they put out, lastly Magnum is American made also besides being able to be stacked 4 high.

I have an EPever IP2000 on my 24V battery system. It's been holding up well for a few months. No complaints, so far. I bought it because I had been using an EPever Tracer-AN 20A charge controller and it seemed solid. Interestingly, not long after I purchased the inverter, the Tracer-AN 20A died, a few days after its one year anniversary. I'm running on a Tracer-AN 40A I had also purchased, for a larger array I intend to build, but now I have no backup, and no charge controller when I build the 2nd array. I've been pondering what to do next, and hoping the failure doesn't turn into a pattern.

Awesome. But hey what kind of array or single panel did you have on the 20 amper, I have 1 and am ordering 4 more. But only plan on a single 405 watt panel per charge controller. I'm hoping they last like Wills 40 amp tracer he swears by.

I run an off-grid system using dual 12,000w AIMS (ETL) 48v inverters - since May 2018 - so a bit over 3 years now. They run on a daily cycle - on after the battery charges up bit and then off when the sun goes down / battery hits the low-cut-off.

2018 - 2,940 kwh
2019 - 8,932 kwh
2020 - 15,013 kwh
2021 - 10,345 kwh so far
-------------------
Total 37,320 kwh produced/consumed so far.

That's 'roughly' spit 60/40 between the 2 AIMS inverters.

View attachment 59871
Bravo sir, look at those batteries. Nice looking inverters.

Back