diy solar

diy solar

Inverter life expectancy.

When in doubt, purchase and install models that are used in ambulances and military applications..................

Problem with the MPP and Growatts is they arent really old enough to know if they're going to live. I have 2x LV6548's that I got in May of last year. I had a problem with 1 that I believe was my own fault, but Ian at Watts247 took care of me and I've been happy ever since.
I also have two of the same LV6548's that have been flawless. That being said, I am anxiously awaiting the LVX6048WP inverters, as they are low frequency, and are outdoor rated. I believe 100lb each.

My 2000 MotorHome had a trace inverter in it. Lasted 19 years. I put a Victron Multiplus 3000 - so far 3 years and going great running 24/7.

Fronius Primo 5kW grid-tie and Schneider Conext XW+ 5548 battery inverter. Both trouble free for 5.5 years.
Are you using the Schneider to convert your Fronius GT inverter into a hybrid system with battery backup?

I also have two of the same LV6548's that have been flawless. That being said, I am anxiously awaiting the LVX6048WP inverters, as they are low frequency, and are outdoor rated. I believe 100lb each.
Edit. They are HIGH frequency, and based on Ians testing, seem to have a similar limit as the Sol-Ark's on a per phase basis. I will be getting my hands real dirty with these soon I hope, and will see it they play well with SMA.

Are you using the Schneider to convert your Fronius GT inverter into a hybrid system with battery backup?
It was my original plan, but upon further research maybe not, since I have (3) 5 KW Fronius Primo inverters. The new Schneider XW Pro 6.8 KW hybrid inverter can only send 6 KW to the grid, which means that I need (2) Schneider XW Pro to send 12 KW to the grid. When you pair (2) 6.8 Schneider XW Pro hybrid inverters, it is more complicated with more Schneider components needed to make it work.

I was previously advise to replace one of the 5 KW Fronius Primo inverter with the new Schneider XW Pro 6.8 KW hybrid inverter. The existing 6 KW solar panels connected to the GT inverter being replaced should be connected to the new Schneider hybrid inverter, since the solar panels will respond quicker to the whole house demand. Of course to connect the solar panels, we need to add the Schneider MPPT to DC couple the solar panels and need to add a Schneider mini panel with circuit breakers. We also need to AC couple 10 KW batteries, because the hybrid inverter won't turn on without DC voltage. The Schneider also won't work without a gateway. The approximate cost for (1) Schneider hybrid inverter system is about $3500 + $1200 + $650 + $350 + $575 = $6250 Schneider components + miscellaneous parts + installation. You also need about $4000 in batteries since they are not something that can be added later. Over $10K for only one Schneider XW Pro + miscellaneous parts + installation.

Now I need to pair (2) Schneider XW Pro 6.8 hybrid inverters and my cost will more than double, since other components are recommended when pairing hybrid inverters.

I was fine buying one Schneider hybrid inverter and adding batteries later. However, I have discovered that batteries are needed when the Schneider is installed are it won't even start. Now I have found that adding only (1) Schneider hybrid inverters will limited my solar production to the grid and the system will greatly reduce my savings, so I now need (2) Schneider hybrid inverters and more batteries. I nearly fell into a bottomless money pit.

I just glad that I did my due diligence before buying.

Last edited:
Edit. They are HIGH frequency, and based on Ians testing, seem to have a similar limit as the Sol-Ark's on a per phase basis. I will be getting my hands real dirty with these soon I hope, and will see it they play well with SMA.
They are not comparable to the Sol-arks at all. Sol-arks have very good surge ratings. The LVX6048WP supposedly has almost no surge ability at all.

They are not comparable to the Sol-arks at all. Sol-arks have very good surge ratings. The LVX6048WP supposedly has almost no surge ability at all.

That keeps it simple, doesn't it. Only one number to worry about. :LOL:

Wasn't comparing surge.
Individual phase limitations.
The problem with all high frequency split-phase inverters.

I have a cheap $399 4K Chinese inverter that I've been running intermittently for about 6 months. I ran it daily during the California heat wave. It runs pretty well, even in 114° F temperatures.

36v
I've seen inverters on Amazon claiming 36 volts. And no I didn't mean a single inverter that does all 4 voltages. I specified 4 different voltages. And this won't be a list now. Also I said battery inverters most of those victron and must models are solar charge controllers/ inverters. That's not also not what I meant 12 volt, wow lots of typing, 24 volt, 36 volt because I saw one for sale and 48 volt. If Thiers no 36 volt just say it's false advertising. This is why I asked people what inverter they have and how long they've had it. So people can see what lasts how long.

Outback 36v still available but I went with OutBack because they made one of the only 32 volt inverter for older powerboats.

1663636430961.png

A 56lb beast.

Good 'ol Trace SW5548. Continually working non stop for 21 years.... and counting. Great old heavy low frequency sine wave inverters.
In 2000 I started with a Trace SW4024 worked great until I bought a 2005 Trace/Xantrex SW5548 (in 2021) when I upgraded to 48v battery and loaned my still working SW4024 to friend who is using it until he builds his house in the mountains and gets his own system (still TBD for which one)

Now I am in process to acquire a Schneider Conext XW Pro 6.8kw to upgrade to 240v, and installing it with planned space, so I can add a 2nd inverter if I want/need to

I see a pattern for me. I think I like this architecture even though it has gone through 3 companies Trace to Xantrex to Schneider. I have like the first 2 well, expecting similar with the third

Last edited:
Installed my first solar system in 2011 - Grid Tied Schneider XW6048 w/ Midnite Solar E-Panel, roof monted 5.6kw LG panels, 2-Schneider MPPT60-150 solar charge controllers, 256ah Concorde AGM batteries, 14KW Genset backup power - absolutely no problems in all of that time!

Will be adding a 4kw tiltable ground array, with a third MPPT60-150 SCC this year. Will also change out the Concordes for a 20kwh rack mount lithium battery pack.

I hope the XW continues it's flawless operation!

Current system:

Attachments

• DSCN4263[1].JPG
    DSCN4263[1].JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 14
Back