diy solar

diy solar

Inverter overload? Why? (Giandel 2200W)

solarstuff

[cross-post with off-grid inverters]

Happy Friday folks.

So... My Giandel 2200W buzzed, read OL (overload) and shut off.
I disconnected all outputs, waited half an hour, tried again: it buzzed, read OL and shut off.
Slight buzz inside inverter second before audible alert buzz.

It's a really sunny day, my 400ah battery bank is near/full.
600w panels attached (2x300w panels in parallel 17.5A arrays, each with own MPPT).
Could the 13.8v coming in from my panels be causing an overload?
I over-specc'd the inverter to avoid this.

[EDIT: could this be fan/component or would that be a different error than OL?]

Last edited:
Can you establish why it's producing OL?

Is it an actual overload?
Is it a high or low voltage error?

The SCC incoming voltage/current shouldn't matter provided they're within programmed spec. In some cases, particularly with PWM controllers in the absorption/float phase, failure may be indicated by voltage spikes where the controller is unable to effectively limit the current. You might see 17V, which would trip the components.

I would try it the other way - remove the input and try it with only the output.

Gut says the inverter has failed.

Yike's I will be running the same inverter this summer for the first time. But it won't be off a charging battery. Please let me know what you learn. What was the load when it failed?

Can you establish why it's producing OL?

Is it an actual overload?
Is it a high or low voltage error?

The SCC incoming voltage/current shouldn't matter provided they're within programmed spec. In some cases, particularly with PWM controllers in the absorption/float phase, failure may be indicated by voltage spikes where the controller is unable to effectively limit the current. You might see 17V, which would trip the components.

I would try it the other way - remove the input and try it with only the output.

Gut says the inverter has failed.
AFAIK not an actual overload, and with only output, same result.

Hope Giandel is good at returns! We're a year into our three year warranty.

Is it the Newer/newest Black one or the older style Silver one your using??? I’m using the Newer Black 12v. model with the soft start feature for a couple months now without any trouble, yet......

So independent of any charging on the battery, the inverter will not provide 120VAC loads?

Hate it when my gut is right. I swear that's why it's so big.

Is it the Newer/newest Black one or the older style Silver one your using??? I’m using the Newer Black 12v. model with the soft start feature for a couple months now without any trouble, yet......
It's the black one. It worked flawlessly for a year, almost. Of course, it's warrantied for three, so here's hoping for a decent customer service experience.

Any updates with customer service at Giandel?. I had a similar issue with my older Silver model 1200K I am now looking for an upgrade to a 1500K or 2k model. Any other suggestions for powering a 1.3K microwave?

Any updates on this issue?
I'm getting the same error with my Giandel (silver) 24v

Back