diy solar

diy solar

Inverter prices - $250+ for a medium grade 1500 watt. Lifepo4 up 15%+

Nickatnyt

I'm convinced that these latest prices for all solar power components is the new normal, which means that even a smallish off-grid solar generating system (panels, batteries, mppt, inverter) is not really attainable to those without a nice wad of available cash. And as we can all see, the group who has 'disposable cash' is getting smaller due to double-digit inflation, among other things. So even if more and more people are seeing the need for off-grid power, many won't have the means especially as prices continue upwards. I'm thinking that the current crop of solar enthusiasts is (best case scenario) barely going to grow, if that.

I have not noticed the price increases yet. I expect them to come but I have not seen it yet.
Can you point to the items you are talking about?

I have not noticed the price increases yet. I expect them to come but I have not seen it yet.
Can you point to the items you are talking about?
Amazon has plenty of solar system components to view. Prices on all of them were noticeably lower 100 days ago. There's plenty of other solar retail sources too.

Still cheap in China.
Suspect it's US suppliers gouging everyone.
All the big boys around the world are taking the opportunity to raise prices.
Broken supply chains, rising fuel prices... Sure, maybe where they're made hasn't gone up too much yet, but the logistical costs to get stuff moved has gone up quite a lot.

Remember the mass of cargo ships just floating off the coast? Seen the gas pump lately?

My work has been having supply chain problems for a long time now and has caused all sorts of problems for production. And it isn't just my job, our entire industry is having trouble.

It isn't just "US suppliers gouging" while I'm sure there is some of that in some cases.

Maybe still cheap in China, but how long is it going to take to get it to you?

That said, Amazon isn't the best place to get stuff. I'm buying far less from there than I used to (for various reasons), but really I've bought only a tiny fraction of my stuff from there partially because their pricing was not that good. Some stuff I found on there were from 3rd party sellers, which when I went direct to their website was cheaper. I got my Outback inverter for less directly from the reseller than through their Amazon storefront.

Went to Signature Solar. Very few solar panels for sale and large price jump.

I buy new 100W poly panels and they haven't gone up yet. Batteries and inverters have. I bought most everything 6 months ago.

Goodness gracious !!!
REALITY CHECK REQUIRED FOR EVERYONE ! HARD ONE TOO !!

A) a "real" Quality Solar Charge Controller like Midnite Solar "tier-1" or Victron 50-100A equivalent. Will cost you $1000usd + + !

NOT A CRAP ASSED HF AIO.

2) A "REAL TIER-1" LF inverter/charger like a 4Kw Single/split phase model from Samlex/Victron/Schneider will cost a MINIMUM $2K usd + + + !

Reality ! Like it or not.

Cheap MOSFETS and integrated software (less evolved than a toss away $30 cellphone) and unified hardware = low components costs and CRAPPY HIGH FREQUENCY CRUD !

Very FEW are Low Frequency because they cost twice as much, but can handle 3X surge without a blink. Motors, Pumps, compressor's, Welders even no problem.
LF is used by All emergency services,military and critical system worldwide. THINK ABOUT IT !!!

WHEN thinking a craptastic $1200 AIO is all that, whack head with hammer. Same for those Gussied up "no tier value grade" cheap junk $600 +/- inverter/charger. RENOGY fine ex of well marketed crap btw.

Now... Some will get all up & Huffy PUFFY & chest thump because they are YouTube University wizbangs.

Seriously do your OWN CRITICAL THINKING & research and Sanity Check.

Just ONE example from a reputable Tier One manufacturer.

ALSO MPPT IS EXTREMELY DIFFERENT ACROSS MAKERS/VENDORS !
there are even Chinese Companies called MPPT SOLAR but sell cheap junk PWM controllers.

So Yell, have a hissy fit jump up/DN scream at your dog... But Wake-Up.

Reality is a bitch, never ever choose the easy and/or cheap route.

SORRY BUT I'M SICK OF BS BEING PUSHED AND FOLKS GETTING SUCKERED.

I will NOT argue reality. Wanna argue find a dead horse.

Goodness gracious !!!

A) a "real" Quality Solar Charge Controller like Midnite Solar "tier-1" or Victron 50-100A equivalent. Will cost you $1000usd + + !

NOT A CRAP ASSED HF AIO.

2) A "REAL TIER-1" LF inverter/charger like a 4Kw Single/split phase model from Samlex/Victron/Schneider will cost a MINIMUM $2K usd + + + !

Cheap MOSFETS and integrated software (less evolved than a toss away $30 cellphone) and unified hardware = low components costs and CRAPPY HIGH FREQUENCY CRUD !

Very FEW are Low Frequency because they cost twice as much, but can handle 3X surge without a blink. Motors, Pumps, compressor's, Welders even no problem.
LF is used by All emergency services,military and critical system worldwide. THINK ABOUT IT !!!

WHEN thinking a craptastic $1200 AIO is all that, whack head with hammer. Same for those Gussied up "no tier value grade" cheap junk $600 +/- inverter/charger. RENOGY fine ex of well marketed crap btw.

Now... Some will get all up & Huffy PUFFY & chest thump because they are YouTube University wizbangs.

there are even Chinese Companies called MPPT SOLAR but sell cheap junk PWM controllers.

Glad to see you are recovering well.

I was torn between the SW6048 and LVX6048, knowing this will not be my last system and it's my first build I went with the Taiwanese brand. I look forward to learning a ton in the process, hopefully not making anything fubar in my snafu environment ?.

I haven't seen any crazy price increases, they are all in line with the unplanned inflation going on ??

I went with the Taiwanese brand
FYI: I use Samlex Inverter/Charger TIER-1 ! UL, ULC, CSA, ETL & more certified (accordingly). Used in Ambulances, Fire Department Rigs & MORE. Take 2-4 years & Heaps of cash to certify to those levels. Made in Taiwan !

North America

Samlex Europe

Goodness gracious !!!

NOT A CRAP ASSED HF AIO.

High frequency is not necessarily crud. For my whole house backup I went with high frequency because of the effeciency and low self-consumption. The only time I'd go with a low frequency inverter is if it's primary use was for starting motors (and a good "search" mode would be required).

High frequency is not necessarily crud. For my whole house backup I went with high frequency because of the effeciency and low self-consumption. The only time I'd go with a low frequency inverter is if it's primary use was for starting motors (and a good "search" mode would be required).
It reminds me when they started getting away from carburetors in the 80s and to fuel injection and all the old farts said fuel injection was bad. Same thing. All I hear is a bunch of crap from both sides of the fence. Winery is winery.

You could build a high frequency inverter that would satisfy everyone... except it would be more expensive. I remember in the early days of IGBT UPSs the challenges (and opportunities) that they provided. One manufacturer essentially maintained their SCR logic, and another completely re-worked their systems to take full advantage of the capabilities of the IGBT. Performance was night-and-day.

There are a lot of edge cases that low-frequency inverters handle through brute-force while high-frequency systems have to be designed and programmed to accommodate them. Odd grid voltage sags, spikes, and transients make that a very real challenge on a stable grid, but if you add an unstable grid to the mix all bets are off.

Back