diy solar

diy solar

Inverter reliablity and design paper

Nice article ... it's amazing how many people have no idea they are using inverters that are essentially little time bombs ...

Here is another good article that explains what's wrong with most low cost inverters https://ludens.cl/Electron/chinverter/chinverter.html
Superb article. Nice to have another person here who is also "deep" technical. You also have an impressive website with a lot of good material.
My website is redhilllabs.com and a YouTube channel called Red Hill Labs. A video with a discussion of transformerless
inverter failure:

Ok. Third edit. I watched your freezer video as well.

Don‘t know who you are but I hope you stick around. You obviously know your stuff. I’m guessing EE for a larger company and retired? I’m also guessing New Mexico or Arizona based on the scenery. Looks pretty appealing from stuck in the big city…

Last edited:
Superb article. Nice to have another person here who is also "deep" technical. You also have an impressive website with a lot of good material.
My website is redhilllabs.com and a YouTube channel called Red Hill Labs. A video with a discussion of transformerless
inverter failure:

Very informative video. It's too bad that some people have to learn the hard way. Not sure what kind of battery was used but I believe the rise of lithium based batteries with their ultra low internal resistance have made the flawed low cost inverters even more vulnerable to catastrophic failures.

BTW, I am not the author of the linked article or the web site. The author is Manfred Mornhinweg. I am just a fan who got tired of the seemingly random and sometimes spectacular failures of flawed low cost inverters and wanted to understand the root causes.

Back