diy solar

diy solar

Inverter resetting

Begginer7

Hi, I have a 410W panel with a 40A mppt epever scc a 12v 100ah sok battery and a giandel 1000w 12 V inverter, but after the battery fills the inverter starts the alzrm and resets and after about 10m it does it again and again. I think the probelm is that there is too much sun here the scc is showing 25kwh when charging. I thought it might be over votage but when we measure the wires after the alarm they are at 13.7v lower than the 16v than the inverter can support. Does any one have an idea of what might be happening?

The scc is running with the attached settings.

Attachments

• IMG-a6a6b48184cc582e0a9add3ea2db7146-V.jpg
    IMG-a6a6b48184cc582e0a9add3ea2db7146-V.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7
It seems the most common cause of inverter over-voltage with solar and LFP is the battery engaging over-voltage protection due to cell imbalance.

This cuts the battery out of the charge circuit, and the MPPT can't react quickly enough, so it spikes the voltage. Most inverters shut down somewhere around 16VDC.

It makes sense that the battery measures 13.7V because it's the charger that's triggering the alarm.

Worth checking the individual cell voltages.

Recommend you change:
boost and equalization to 13.8V
float to 13.6V

If 13.8V does NOT trigger the alarm, increment it 0.1V at a time until it triggers and then back off 0.1V. Operate this way for about a week and then try to increase it again. Rinse and repeat.

It seems the most common cause of inverter over-voltage with solar and LFP is the battery engaging over-voltage protection due to cell imbalance.

This cuts the battery out of the charge circuit, and the MPPT can't react quickly enough, so it spikes the voltage. Most inverters shut down somewhere around 16VDC.

It makes sense that the battery measures 13.7V because it's the charger that's triggering the alarm.

Worth checking the individual cell voltages.

Recommend you change:
boost and equalization to 13.8V
float to 13.6V

If 13.8V does NOT trigger the alarm, increment it 0.1V at a time until it triggers and then back off 0.1V. Operate this way for about a week and then try to increase it again. Rinse and repeat.
At the moment the equalization time is set at 120m, should this be 0 for lifepo4?

0 is fine. Given that it's the same as the boost voltage, it doesn't really matter.

Great I was watching this video that said that equalization should be turned off and thought that I had damaged the battery by leaving it at 120m. Is the boost the same as float with ankther name?

Great I was watching this video that said that equalization should be turned off and thought that I had damaged the battery by leaving it at 120m.

No way.

Is the boost the same as float with ankther name?

Bulk/boost/absorption all refer to the same voltage.

Float is the voltage the controller keeps the battery at to power loads and prevent discharge.

The Epevers have a flaw that in full sun with charged battery the SCC doesn’t react fast enough and it can (will? A 30, 40, and 50A I’ve had do the same thing) spike the output voltage which in my case 1) shut-down the SCC for overvoltage always, then it would reset and repeat; and 2) often send my Giandel 1200W into overvoltage alarm and shut down.
I could ‘cause’ it (once I figured it out) by running the vacuum (850W-ish) under full sun with charged batteries: voltage from panels would spike and SCC would drop out. Sometimes the inverter would alarm but usually just a chirp and the SCC cutting out would keep the inverter percolating.

That’s my experience.

The Epevers have a flaw that in full sun with charged battery the SCC doesn’t react fast enough and it can (will? A 30, 40, and 50A I’ve had do the same thing) spike the output voltage which in my case 1) shut-down the SCC for overvoltage always, then it would reset and repeat; and 2) often send my Giandel 1200W into overvoltage alarm and shut down.
I could ‘cause’ it (once I figured it out) by running the vacuum (850W-ish) under full sun with charged batteries: voltage from panels would spike and SCC would drop out. Sometimes the inverter would alarm but usually just a chirp and the SCC cutting out would keep the inverter percolating.

That’s my experience.
Is there a solution?

I can’t think of one for lithium cuz they won’t tolerate stupid-high voltage.

For lead raising the max volts setting to 16+ and lowering the boost / float / equalize a tad seemed to help but equalize cutting out is the big one for me.

@inverter-shawn whats this got to do with the above discussion? not trying to be a smart ass just curious. do you think this will solve the problem for the OP? if so how? does it have a setting that allows for a quick spike when the SCC shut off or something else?

cheers

@inverter-shawn whats this got to do with the above discussion? not trying to be a smart ass just curious. do you think this will solve the problem for the OP? if so how? does it have a setting that allows for a quick spike when the SCC shut off or something else?

cheers

He's a spammer. 3 duplicate posts since joining last night. Reported.

Back