diy solar

diy solar

Inverter Search (Grid-Tie, AC Coupling, Charger, 2-3 AC inputs (or xfer switch options)

Shale MacGregor

Solar Enthusiast
I am in search of the following:

30kW of inverter (prefer parallel for redundancy at reduced kW)
AC Coupling (I have Grid power, Microinverter power from roof, and generator power)
DC Charging (48V , ~ 75kWh bank)

I would also prefer to be able to program the batteries to feed back power into the grid based on criteria I set, as well as power from the microinverters if possible)

I have looked at some Victron options as well as Sol-ark, and a few self-made options but throwing this out here for ideas or for responses to help clean up my wording when searching or trying to find solutions.

Thanks guys, you are the best!

I am in this same journey ... I have committed to some components but not the energy storage as of yet. I have a pole barn built last year facing due south with a 9/12 pitch in preparation ... Standing seam metal roof.... about 200 Ft from the house ( say 250 to the rear service entrance )

The plan 48 REC Alph 375 PV into 4 strings of 12 each No optimizers or micros .. I am looking for simplicity and low components and high reliability. I have chosen 2 Fronius string inverters after far to much searching. 2 primo 8.2's that will alternate the horizontal strings ( 1.1,2.1,1.2,2.) is Inverter.string. These units have high voltage mppt and "fit" my temperature corrected voltage well. and should start and stop well given the longer strings. They also support grid-zero that is a goal for us.

I considered MANY alternatives (tigo optimizers + string inverter SMA or Solis and HIGH mppt counts of 3/4 allowing 8 panel strings this
Tipped my choice as it makes the array layout pretty simple for me. The fronius has modbus.TCP which I used as far back as when it first appeared and I will hard lan wire the whole solution. They also have no mystery surrounding parallel setup.

So the thought was a good quality plain string inverter at the pole parn to get it into 240V/AC and run to home where any fancier storage solution will take place ( This part is not final )

I am going to test the Victron GX and have 2 power meters to monitor grid AND PV as the controller for the Fronius inverters to reduce output to grid - Zero. IF I can get a clear feedback on the Quatro in ESS mode (15KVA unit ) I will probably go this route I would love to hear any feedback !! I would love to add the quatro at the house and manage this with the ESS if it will accomplish all this ... OR 90% and add battery as needed maybe just enough to keep the microgrid/pv array alive in a true grid outage and dump my aging generator(s)

The plan is to have the main panel for full support during high PV production , I will create a NON-essential loads panel ( a bit of reversed from most of what I see ) and I will pull some of my worst draw items into it like 2 3 ton AC units (6K right there on a hot summer day ), 2x 1.5hp pond pumps, and one special add- one or two electric water tank heating elements for a custom built 1500 gal water tank used for heating our home. ( wood gasifier boiler at the moment). I am hoping to defer or minimize the battery storage costs and store the excess energy as heat lowering my wood cutting labor a bit as I get older ( and older ) :)

for now I will proceed with my 48 PV + 2 Fronius primo 8.2 + Victron GX & 2 meters + Victron 100Amp Autotransformer. I would like to get off the ground with Grid usage to supplement PV at night or whenever needed. BUT never use grid for the non-essential loads with NO export I will use it all and heat a big chunk of water with "the excess - if any"

Looking for any warnings that I may not have thought of

Back