diy solar

diy solar

Inverter size and in rush current

hopefulbull

When looking at sizing an inverter for a well how much of the sizing is to deal with the in rush current?

Do they make aftermarket soft start kits for standard A/C pump motors?

When looking at sizing an inverter for a well how much of the sizing is to deal with the in rush current?

However much is needed. If you have a lot of surge loads, you likely want to select a unit that has a good genuine 2-3X surge rating for 20-30 seconds. MANY of these lightweight, inverters claim a 2X surge, but they may only be good for 20ms or a couple of seconds at best.

Do they make aftermarket soft start kits for standard A/C pump motors?

A/C tends to mean air conditioning.

Do you mean A/C compressor or AC pump?

MicroAir makes soft starters for A/C compressors. I inquired if they would work for pumps, but they indicated they won't. In some cases, a VFD may be an option to regulate pump speed and reduce surge.

However much is needed. If you have a lot of surge loads, you likely want to select a unit that has a good genuine 2-3X surge rating for 20-30 seconds. MANY of these lightweight, inverters claim a 2X surge, but they may only be good for 20ms or a couple of seconds at best.

A/C tends to mean air conditioning.

Do you mean A/C compressor or AC pump?

MicroAir makes soft starters for A/C compressors. I inquired if they would work for pumps, but they indicated they won't. In some cases, a VFD may be an option to regulate pump speed and reduce surge.
A couple seconds would be more than enough for most well pump surges. The startup surge on my big well pump only lasts a few cycles.

Sounds about like my neighbor's 3hp 700' deep Grundfos.

Surprised the LV could handle it. Was it passing grid through, or were you on batteries?

Not surprised by the Sol-Ark. For that price, it should whisper sweet nothings in your ear as you sleep.

Sounds about like my neighbor's 3hp 700' deep Grundfos.

Surprised the LV could handle it. Was it passing grid through, or were you on batteries?

Not surprised by the Sol-Ark. For that price, it should whisper sweet nothings in your ear as you sleep.
The running wattage was actually the problem with the LVX. Even while running a 1500W space heater on one leg it had no problem starting the pump but it cut off after 5-10 seconds because it was over the 6000W limit.

Sorry for the delay and the double posting of the same topic. I'm gong to contact the mods and see if they can combine the threads. All of my future responses will bbc be there.

230v A/C (alternating current)

Thanks for all the answers.

Back