diy solar

diy solar

Inverter sizing question

oldsparky

My goal at the moment is to be able to run a refrigerator/ freezer (130 running watts), small chest freezer(110), 5000 btu window A/C (450), with an additional 296 watts static load. This comes out to 986 running watts and am calculating 4436 watts worst case scenario with all three inductive loads starting up simultaneously. I calculated the startup of the compressor loads by multiplying the running watts times six.
Will an MPP solar LV2424 with it's 2400 watt inverter be enough or do I need to think bigger?

By your own math the air conditioner startup by itself would exceed the continuous rating for the lv2424
450 watts * 6 surge multiplier = 2700 watts.
High frequency inverters have surge ratings of ~20ms which is ~1 cycle of ac power.
The air conditioner could be pulling serious current for ~1 second.
The lv2424 is very likely a high frequency inverter.

Generally I believe 2400 watts will be fine. Can't guaranty it though. Use big wire and plenty of battery to get full surge performance.

By your own math the air conditioner startup by itself would exceed the continuous rating for the lv2424
450 watts * 6 surge multiplier = 2700 watts.
High frequency inverters have surge ratings of ~20ms which is ~1 cycle of ac power.
The air conditioner could be pulling serious current for ~1 second.
The lv2424 is very likely a high frequency inverter.
Thanks, was not aware of the short duration of the surge rating. Based on my figures, how large of an inverter would you recommend?

I doubt that the HF Inverter of 2424 can start all those appliances at the same time.

My long-term rule of thumb is to double what your largest wattage value is, so if you are coming up with 4400W, I'd be looking at a 8000-9000W inverter.

The high-frequency LV2424 doesn't have the surge capability, so I'd be looking at transformer based models from Schneider or Outback. I have larger refrigerators and air-conditioners than what you are talking about, and my XW6848 powers them effortlessly.

My goal at the moment is to be able to run a refrigerator/ freezer (130 running watts), small chest freezer(110), 5000 btu window A/C (450), with an additional 296 watts static load. This comes out to 986 running watts and am calculating 4436 watts worst case scenario with all three inductive loads starting up simultaneously. I calculated the startup of the compressor loads by multiplying the running watts times six.
Will an MPP solar LV2424 with it's 2400 watt inverter be enough or do I need to think bigger?
I'll just state my truck camper roof air draws 51 amps at 24v and the GW 24v 3000TL LVM handles it just fine. Roof air is at least 9k btu. That said, the roof air is coming off and inverter mini split will be installed. Simply to reduce wh's.

Back