diy solar

diy solar

Inverter to Battery Cable Size

dmholmes

I though I was doing well by replacing the 2' 5 AWG battery cable that came with my 1200w inverter with a 2 AWG cable. But when looking into bolt on fuses I see that @Will Prowse links to a 1/0 cable for 1000-2000w inverter, and the chart he recommends to check for fuse sizing recommends a 2/0 (1000w inverter) to 4/0 cable (1500w inverter). Is this large range of suggestions due to different opinions on wire safety?

Fuses are selected by the amount of current the conductor can pass with about a 1.25 safety margin. Thicker cable is always better.

Link #2 in my sig has various references for sizing cable based on current.

Last edited:
Fuses are selected by the amount of current the conductor can past with about a 1.25 safety margin. Thicker cable is always better.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I was about to buy a 125 amp fuse based on that math. 1200w inverter, 100w max current. But the sources I mentioned don't agree.

Most of that is over my head. But according to their quick calculation (current / 3 = cable size in mm2) 2 AWG is the correct size cable for my 1200w/100a inverter to battery. That's assuming the max constant draw and not the max surge. I wonder why altE is recommending such a thicker cable?

Back