diy solar

diy solar

Inverter to charger a Tesla

dye008

Not sure if this is the right section of the forum to ask this, but I have an 18650 24v power pack that is connected to an LV2424 (not connected to grid) that I use to charge my Model 3 at 3mi/hr (basically level 1 charging). I came across this video of Jehu using an 18650 24v pack charging a Tesla Model 3 with an inverter at 9 mi/hr. His video topics are pretty interesting, but he always has a lot of missing details and information. Can someone help fill in the blanks for me (maybe @Will Prowse l since I see you in the background filming lol)? In the video, he says he is using the Tesla plug that is setup for 110/120vac so I am assuming it is the NEMA 5-15 that came with the charge kit. He also has a link to the inverter he is using here from another video of his. It is the SWIPOWER 3000W 24V 220V 60hz Inverter. So here are my questions
1. How is he able to plugin the 120vac NEMA 5-15 adapter into the 220v inverter and have it auto convert and not melt the 120vac adapter?
2. How is the inverter able to output 249vac in the video when the inverter is 220/230vac?
3. Could he have just used the 240v outlet that came with the charger kit (NEMA 14-50)?
4. On the AliExpress site, I see there is a 240v option. Would it have been better if he had gotten the 240v option vs the 220/230v option since he is trying to output 240v?

I guess what I am trying to do here is to understand how he is doing it, why it worked and if I should just do the same thing in buying that inverter and call it a day instead of buying another LV2424 to put it in parallel (I don't trust myself enough yet to put something in parallel).

Last edited:
The charger he is using is the 14-30 plug version. He says a LOT of glossed over, incorrect info on his channel, and in general.

Thank you @Supervstech. Yea, there isn't much of a guide except to follow based on observation and the links he posts in the comment section. Can you answer one more question? I have the NEMA 14-50 and on the AliExpress site, I see there is a 240v option. Would it be better to get the 240v option vs the 220/230v option since I am trying to output 240v (he was outputting 249v in the video)? Will the 240v get the same results at 9 miles per hour charge he said he is getting?

Back