diy solar

diy solar

Inverter upgrade

Buckworth

Hello,

I'm currently shopping for an upgrade to my 1000w psw inverter to a 2000+ psw model. I keeping running into manufacturers saying that their inverters are designed for flooded, not lithium batteries.

Since I'm also uprgadeing to lifep04, is there a feature I should be adding to my search, or can anyone recommend a model?

Hello,

I'm currently shopping for an upgrade to my 1000w psw inverter to a 2000+ psw model. I keeping running into manufacturers saying that their inverters are designed for flooded, not lithium batteries.

Since I'm also uprgadeing to lifep04, is there a feature I should be adding to my search, or can anyone recommend a model?

The statement may be inherently true, i.e., they were not DESIGNED for lithium batteries, but in the vast majority of cases, they work just fine. In fact, they may work better. Flooded require periodic equalization. The voltage to do that properly may trip an inverter's over-volt protection.

You should look at the specs of any inverter, charge cut off and peak voltage. If your battery works in that range, awesome.

Will has a whole page of inverters.

Look at inverter/chargers midrange and up.
They generally are quite configurable as far as charge and discharge profiles.
Even if I didn't don't need an AC charger I would still look at them.

You might considered other changes. 2000w at 12v is ~165 amps That is a lot of current to have to manage. 24v or 48v battery packs and inverters will help manage the amount of current (wire sizes etc) as well as efficiency/losses.

You might consider an all-in-one replacement unit given the other factors that should to be considered.

You might considered other changes. 2000w at 12v is ~165 amps That is a lot of current to have to manage. 24v or 48v battery packs and inverters will help manage the amount of current (wire sizes etc) as well as efficiency/losses.

You might consider an all-in-one replacement unit given the other factors that should to be considered.
2000 watts * 1.15 conversion factor / 12 volts = 191.6666666667 dc amps.
Big but doable.

Last edited:
Most 120 volt appliances use less than 15 amps ac. My full-on use is 150 amps from 12Vdc. Easy for 2/0 cables to 2000W inverter. I can see problems if using bench grinders or table saws.

Back