diy solar

diy solar

Inverter without shore power/alternator/generator charging

AdamB24

Hi All,

I was just wondering in the simplest AC circuit that is possible. I have a 500 watt Inverter with a single socket at the front. I wanted to add a few more sockets in different places around my van. As per the title I do not have any other AC circuits like shore power to worry about. Now assuming I have correctly sized all my wire and fuses on the 12 volt side of the inverter.

Can I simply add a male plug with appropriate AC cabling attached to two different single sockets without any circuit breaker in between the inverter output and the socket outlet? I am in the UK and all plugs are fused with conventional fuses. I understand these don't offer the same protection as RCBs. Though it's hard to see the difference between directly using the socket on the front of the inverter, without an inbuilt RCB, and extended this to two sockets without an RCB.

I have read on different forums qualified electricians stating different answer though the actual set up also contained some other variables (shore power etc.)

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

My inverter has a built-in gfci outlet.
GFCI(ground fault circuit interuppter) is the north american version of an RCB(Residual Current Breaker).
Perhaps you can get a similarly equipped inverter.

You could also use the male end of an extension cord and hard wire an outlet or two (on the cut end) with gfci if you want. You could use either home grade outlets, or something like this ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M8N5A...abc_078SSG7FK846K09CDP3G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ), I imagine they have a UK version.

Plug the cord into the inverter, and it powers the hard-wired wall outlets down-stream.

Male to male cords can be a dangerous shock hazard. I've used them, but only if absolutely necessary, and definitely not in a mobile environment.

Thanks all. I actually can't find any information about my inverter if it has some kind fast acting circuit breaker. Though it looks like I have a couple of options if I have read understood correctly:

One is to use a a male plug and wire (possibly cut from a extension cord) which is connected to RCB and then a standard UK outlet (in the UK it is not standard to have the circuit breaker and outlet in one system but when the outlet trips(shorts) you have to reset the RCB at the fuse box rather than the outlet itself). I believe in the USA each outlet is protected by the GFCI at the outlet, though I may wrong here.

Two is to try to find a UK outlet/extension with a GFCI installed to protect and simply plug it in. A quick search bring up the following - ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08JG918R3/ref=sspa_mw_detail_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). This would be the easiest I believe.

Have I understood your suggestions correctly?

Since the inverter is self limiting to 500 watts there is no reason for additional breakers or fuses assuming the wire can easily handle 500+ watts.

Since the inverter is self limiting to 500 watts there is no reason for additional breakers or fuses assuming the wire can easily handle 500+ watts.
A gfci breaker protects from shock hazzard.
An afci breaker protects from fire hazzard.

My opinion is that if the inverter doesn't have the capability for a hard wired circuit, then you shouldn't be connecting the inverter to outlets.

A gfci breaker protects from shock hazzard.
An afci breaker protects from fire hazzard.
Yes a GFCI should be used if near water such as a sink. Although if just using the outlet to charge small items from a brick there is a much lower risk.

Not sure when a AFCI would be required in an RV or even a home. Might be nice but when is it required?

Yes a GFCI should be used if near water such as a sink. Although if just using the outlet to charge small items from a brick there is a much lower risk.

Not sure when a AFCI would be required in an RV or even a home. Might be nice but when is it required?
AFCI was first mandated for use in bedrooms.
Arcs in cords(think heating pad) could ignite combustibles(think bedding).

If invertor is not grounded GFCI will be useless. 500W/240V = 2.08 Amp I wouldn't be concerned to much about fire hazard.
Some inverters have neutral and ground bonded internally.
Often they are the ones that don't support hardwire.

Any decent heat pad has a brick and heats with about 18 volts DC. If that starts arching will it trip?
Possibly a poor example but I maintain that AFCI was first mandated for the bedroom because of cord arcs igniting bedding.

Back