diy solar

diy solar

Inverters for split-phase 35kw peak system

jmb1884

Hello - I am an electrical engineer but new to solar inverters so I would love some feedback - I've found the datasheets a bit lacking for many of the brands.

I am located in Panama which is a US style split-phase power grid. I am grid-tied with a 40kw generator with ATS. I am designing a solar system with storage and want to support peak current draw of 40kw. (average 17kw).

I require the inverters to work while both the grid and the generator are offline, but I do not need to achieve peak current draw when the grid is offline. I will not be putting power back onto the grid.

I considered 8 of the Felicity Solar IVEM5048 (5kw, datasheet attached). It has UPS functionality. But as with most hybrid inverters I have seen, it has a single AC input. Can I do split-phase by putting 4 inverters on each phase? Do I need inverters specifically designed for split-phase applications?

Any insight is appreciated, as well as recommendations for inverters that would work better for me.

I'm planning 48 450watt panels, and 75kwh of storage.

Attachments

• IVEM solar inverter user guide.pdf
    15.5 MB · Views: 18
Take a look at Schneider Conext Pro, Outback and SMA. I'm using a Schneider Conext XW+ 6848 (Conext Pro is the current model) Most of the premium products have 2 AC inputs, one for grid and one for a generator. They are also UL1741SA compliant and have a built in internal transfer switch. Lastly, based on your relatively high peak wattage demand, I would recommend choosing a low frequency type inverter.

Check out https://www.sandielectric.com/ and this guys channel too

I would like to emphasize that this isn’t mainstream equipment for the DIY type. I don’t have personal experience with it, but it’s most likely what I would use for my own large installation on a budget. However, you can’t go wrong with the known high quality and supported stuff that BentleyJ cited.

Last edited:
I have used some of the Felicity IVPA inverter units (and the Felicity batteries) here in Costa Rica. For your scenario, i would recommend the Sol-Ark type hybrid inverter, especially considering the built in charge controllers and higher full system efficiency. They also have the dual AC input available. The new 15k unit even has up to 200 amp passthrough. 2 units in parallel should meet all your needs, and allow connectivity of all your hardware without need of extra equipment. They can even directly connect that size of generator (between two inverters) and handle the switching internally.
If the cost is an issue, GSL energy is launching a Chinese branded version of the same hardware in October i believe. But Sol-Ark has the better tech support / software / warranty.

Hello - I am an electrical engineer but new to solar inverters so I would love some feedback - I've found the datasheets a bit lacking for many of the brands.

I am located in Panama which is a US style split-phase power grid. I am grid-tied with a 40kw generator with ATS. I am designing a solar system with storage and want to support peak current draw of 40kw. (average 17kw).

I require the inverters to work while both the grid and the generator are offline, but I do not need to achieve peak current draw when the grid is offline. I will not be putting power back onto the grid.

I considered 8 of the Felicity Solar IVEM5048 (5kw, datasheet attached). It has UPS functionality. But as with most hybrid inverters I have seen, it has a single AC input. Can I do split-phase by putting 4 inverters on each phase? Do I need inverters specifically designed for split-phase applications?

Any insight is appreciated, as well as recommendations for inverters that would work better for me.

Unless you are running another transformer, the IVEM inverters will not be able to give you your split phase output, only 230 volt single phase. You would need the IVPA 5048 from Felicity for split phase output, but still don't get the dual AC input, though if your generator runs it's own ATS, you may not need that.

Check out https://www.sandielectric.com/ and this guys channel too

I would like to emphasize that this isn’t mainstream equipment for the DIY type. I don’t have personal experience with it, but it’s most likely what I would use for my own large installation on a budget. However, you can’t go wrong with the known high quality and supported stuff that BentleyJ cited.
I have seen this guys system on YouTube.
He uses 240VDC to 344VDC at 70 amps driving his inverters.

It’s interesting and what he says makes sense.

I just don’t have any familiarity with the inverters he is using.

The webpage says 2 years warranty but I image all that support would have to come China.
If they have local distributors here I don’t know who they are.

It’s an interesting system I’m just not sure about support.

Last edited:

Get 2 x Sol-Ark 15kw and run them in parallel.
You won’t regret it..

Back