diy solar

diy solar

Inverters with remote wire

BTW: I have played with the 2-signal BMS assistant on the Multiplus Compact. I can confirm that the assistant will let you use the Temp Sensor input to either control the charge on-off or the discharge on-off. It just won't do both like you can on the regular MultiPlus.

I have not set up the relay to try to control the charge using the remote control inputs, but I see no reason it would not work.
Do you know if the Multiplus Compact will independently control charging and discharging via the VE.Bus? I am still getting the pieces for my system and have the Multiplus Compact and the BVM-712. I am thinking I will need a GX device to play traffic cop between the various Victron devices I have planned.

Multiplus 24/2000-70
BVM-712
100/20 Smart Solar MPPT
Orion TR 12/24-15 Smart Charger

I want to be able to seamlessly transition through solar, alternator and shore power charging and have the Multiplus disconnect properly on over discharge without ever banging into the BMS voltage limits on charging or discharging.

Do you know if the Multiplus Compact will independently control charging and discharging via the VE.Bus? I am still getting the pieces for my system and have the Multiplus Compact and the BVM-712. I am thinking I will need a GX device to play traffic cop between the various Victron devices I have planned.

Multiplus 24/2000-70
BVM-712
100/20 Smart Solar MPPT
Orion TR 12/24-15 Smart Charger

I want to be able to seamlessly transition through solar, alternator and shore power charging and have the Multiplus disconnect properly on over discharge without ever banging into the BMS voltage limits on charging or discharging.
Sorry, I have never looked into the controls using VE.Bus. I have only used the Aux Inputs and Assistant. This allows me to use the Chargery BMS signals as the control (through a small SCC)

Sorry, I have never looked into the controls using VE.Bus. I have only used the Aux Inputs and Assistant. This allows me to use the Chargery BMS signals as the control (through a small SCC)
I looked it up. VictronConnect provides a mechanism to disable charging any time the temperature is below 5 degree C. This signal can come from my BMV-712 if I add the optional temperature sensor ($20). That provides a programmable low temperature charging disconnect to all of my Victron charge sources. No GX controller required. Cool!

Edit: The Orion TR hasn't implemented this function of VictronConnect. I will just use a relay contact closure output in series with the ignition switch input of the Orion TR to disable alternator charging. I need to read up more about my BMV-712. I still haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Last edited:
I referring to being connected to shore power so that inverter/charger can top batteries off
I too was concerned about making the inverter charger work nicely with the SBMS0. I ended up getting a ZRELB inverter, which has no charge function. Unfortunately it is not a low frequency and will not start my AC. I got a meanwell 27A charger so both inverter and charger can be shut off independently.

However, if I was to do it over again, I would get the low frequency unit. The SMBS0 would be wired to shut off the main switch whenever either charging or inverting needs to be shut off. It would be annoying to lose A/C power, but I would manually shut off the shore power or charging when the batteries are full enough to avoid that. In other words, I would not bother "topping off" the batteries. I would turn on the charging and set a reminder timer to have me shut off the charging in a few hours.

Basically, I realized it just isn't necessary to be anal about getting the batteries full, and it is rare that I need shore power so I really don't care if there is a manual step. I mean, I had to drive the RV to the mains and manually plug in the cord, so what difference does it make that I do a bit of math to determine when I should set my alarm to shut off charging?

Another option is to get a power transfer switch, instead of relying on the one in the inverter/charger. That way when you plug into shore, the A/C power is switched in, and if the inverter is shut off by the BMS, you don't lose A/C. I am assuming that if the inverter is shut off, it won't switch the mains through to your loads. But maybe there are inverter/chargers that do switch the mains through even when they are off.

jt

Yeah, I agree.

I am also planning to use the SBMS0 and I personally still believe a lot of Victron's "smart" featureset will be valuable. The SBMS0 is great from a system monitoring standpoint (and as a BMS of course). But If I understand correctly its control capabilities are limited to a binary ON/OFF for charge and a binary ON/OFF for discharge.

I see three main benefits of Victron's smart devices in combination with the SBMS0 (and all of them are subjective/based on use-case and priorities)
  1. Layered control & protection. I see my BMS as the safety layer of last resort, the least elegant but the most definite solution. This is less true of the SBMS which is more elegant in its implementation than most BMS' but still somewhat true.
  2. More granular and precise control beyond simple on/off. I like having the ability to disconnect AC loads separate from DC loads, set different disconnect thresholds, or manually put the inverter in low power mode.
  3. I find the Victron Connect app useful, clean, and very intuitive. There are situations where I may want to switch off the inverter but keep DC loads connected (or vice versa) or put the inverter in low power mode, with the Victron connect app I can do that with the flip of a switch in my pocket.
None of these features are necessary and there is definitely some overlap in capabilities, but I really like the ability to monitor and manage the overall system via the SBMS interface, and also manage and monitor individual devices via the Victron Connect app, and really appreciate how intuitive Victron's interface is.
I too was concerned about making the inverter charger work nicely with the SBMS0. I ended up getting a ZRELB inverter, which has no charge function. Unfortunately it is not a low frequency and will not start my AC. I got a meanwell 27A charger so both inverter and charger can be shut off independently.

However, if I was to do it over again, I would get the low frequency unit. The SMBS0 would be wired to shut off the main switch whenever either charging or inverting needs to be shut off. It would be annoying to lose A/C power, but I would manually shut off the shore power or charging when the batteries are full enough to avoid that. In other words, I would not bother "topping off" the batteries. I would turn on the charging and set a reminder timer to have me shut off the charging in a few hours.

Basically, I realized it just isn't necessary to be anal about getting the batteries full, and it is rare that I need shore power so I really don't care if there is a manual step. I mean, I had to drive the RV to the mains and manually plug in the cord, so what difference does it make that I do a bit of math to determine when I should set my alarm to shut off charging?

Another option is to get a power transfer switch, instead of relying on the one in the inverter/charger. That way when you plug into shore, the A/C power is switched in, and if the inverter is shut off by the BMS, you don't lose A/C. I am assuming that if the inverter is shut off, it won't switch the mains through to your loads. But maybe there are inverter/chargers that do switch the mains through even when they are off.

jt
Buy cheap, buy twice. If AC or any other load with surge involved the HF inverter needs 10x the load means tun run a 500W ac the Hf inverter need to be a 5kw one to survive…
Problem with LF inverter you always have an inverter/charger combo because the iron brick called trafo is used in both directions, one for charging and the other for inverting. So oem can charge more because they offer both with not much extra costs.
Additionally for LF inverters there is actually only Tier 1 like Victron, Samlex.. or cheap 2b aims,sungoldpower….which are all the same LF produced by signeer and you are their quality control means you get 4 inverters in 6 month, first 2 don‘t work out of the box, 3rd works for 2-4month then breaks step by step, no 5 don‘t work out of the box and no 6 works for 3 years and then mosfets or capacitors break. Sometimes you are lucky and right away get no6 that works for 3 years+…or have a local store that stocks them, only way I would buy such an LF.
The tier 1 is double the price of Tier 2b but shipping these 30kg+ monsters twice+new Price of Tier 2b cost the same then Tier 1 in first place….
Not really a choice here.
With HF inverters it’s different but if you have surge stuff like microwave and want reliability there is only Tier1 LF inverter left.

Bumping this thread b/c AIMS has a 3000w 24v inverter with a remote switch that has a no-load power draw of only 0.45A. This is approaching Victron levels of efficiency.

Bumping this thread b/c AIMS has a 3000w 24v inverter with a remote switch that has a no-load power draw of only 0.45A. This is approaching Victron levels of efficiency.

Can the remote control charge and discharge separately? That is what is needed to work well with the electrodaucus.

Can the remote control charge and discharge separately? That is what is needed to work well with the electrodaucus.
I have multiple SBMSs and am using this inverter in my latest build. It’s an inverter only, not an inverter/charger so yes, it will work well with the SBMS.

I guess I'll update my system. I ended up using a samlex 24v2000 watt with chargery bms. 8 280ah cells.victron 70amp.1500 watts of solar built over my damaged canopy lol Chargerys kinda glitchy but it was a fun little project

Back