diy solar

diy solar

inverters

richard barton

does anybody recomend a 12 volt 240 AC inverter for the UK? needsto be on 24/7....thanks should ass 2000 kw plus......

Last edited:
Sigineer or samlex make 2000 watt inverters.
Not sure about 2 mega watt

2000 watts at 12V is a fairly large inverter. If your loads will approach 2K, changing to 24V would be better.

don’t get me wrong. PLENTY of 12V inverters exceed 2KW, but they are fairly inefficient, and require huge fuses and wiring.

Do you need shore power connection?

What loads are your planning on powering? Watts are not necessarily the same when it comes to inverters.

I would also second the 24V recommendation for a 2KW or bigger inverter. You can get a 12V 2000 W inverter, but better plan on short, fat wiring (welding cable) if you do.

You might want to read this thread. Lot of options mentioned there.

I finally decided on the Victron Multiplus 24/2000-50 for my van conversion rig (USA 120V version). My loads include a small microwave oven and inverter cooktop (for very short periods of time and never at the same time), plus a very efficient 24V refrigerator, DC ventilation fan and DC LED lights. I have 3000 WH of batteries and plan to add a DC-DC battery charger/isolator for alternator charging if the solar panel proves to be unable to keep up with demand. My van only has room for 300W of solar panels and I fear this will not be enough even living in sunny Arizona.

Last edited:
Xantrex also makes a decent 2000W inverter (industrial quality). You are about to undergo a bit of sticker shock. Cheap Chinese inverters that can't deliver their specified power are available under $500.

Decent quality 2000 W inverters (LF or good quality HF) start around $700. If you want to add AC charging and automatic switchover you need to add a couple of hundred to that. Victron Multiplus and Samlex Evo are about as good as it gets, but they are over $1,100.

Cheap inverters typically don't deliver more than half their rated power into real loads. Some won't even do that much.

thanks guys....I meant 2000 watts......I have the low battery auto switch over but dont like leaving the inverter 24/7.....any answers?...I am only interested in UK 240 AC stuff........

Comes down to what you plan on doing with it and your expectations with regards to reliability.

If you don't plan on starting heavy motors (power tools etc) a high frequency inverter would likely do the job. Check the Giandel and Reliable Electric range. I have a Giandel 2000W 24V/230VAC inverter that suits me. It runs my transformer based microwave (~850 watts RF, ~1.2kW total) without problem. It doesn't have a lot of headroom when it comes to short term overloads and will drop the load immediately at about 2.2kW. Some of the Reliable's I've seen proper youtube tests of will carry the overload for longer. Cheaper HF inverters skimp on component quality, its part of why they are cheap. Reliable claimed it used high quality capacitors in the ads, but reality is that it uses cheapies. Expect that a Giandel or Reliable inverter will last 5 years. If you get more, bonus!

If you do plan on heavy start currents look into a low frequency inverter. They tend to have better short and medium term overload capabilities. There's a good selection to consider, Victron, Magnum, AIMs. Unless it gets hit by lighting a Victron is likely still to be working in 20 years time. Avoid crap like powerjack (should really be powerjoke). A solinba inverter looks reasonably well built. Viewing this stuff on youtube will quickly give you an idea of what is junk. If the transformer is dinky or looks like even a rat would be ashamed to admit it owned it, avoid it.

Last edited:
thanks guys....I meant 2000 watts......I have the low battery auto switch over but dont like leaving the inverter 24/7.....any answers?...I am only interested in UK 240 AC stuff........
What’s the law in the UK regarding certification of 240V circuits? Will yours require any?

(in Australia 240V circuits and propane systems have to have certificates for vehicles to pass their road fitness tests))

if it does require signing off you’ll need an inverter that meets/is certified too UK/EU electrical standards

Last edited:
Your MultiPlus has a 'search' low power mode and at only 3W quiescent draw I doubt very much you'd ever flatten a battery. I mean you could probably fart in the general direction of your battery and re-charge it more that the MultiPlus would use.

Back