diy solar

diy solar

Invertor fan stopped working, how to clean it?

SolarSamSurfer

Here to learn.
I have a growatt 3k inverter which started showing error code 1 which is fan lock, when I opened it u one fan is jittering and not working. Everything is very dusty inside so I would like to do a clean to see if that fixes the fan. any recommendations on how to do it would be lovely. I was thinking to use ISO

Attachments

• ezgif-4-97afb8983f.gif
    ezgif-4-97afb8983f.gif
    9.6 MB · Views: 18
Clean the unit but take my advice and get a new fan. You can probably get it running again after you clean it but I suspect that the bearing shaft has probably gotten all gunked up. If you clean it the fan may run for a month or two and then your back to square one.

When I clean them I use a 1/2" paint brush and compressed air. Do not let the fan blade spin when your blowing it out. Some of these boards are poorly designd and the Fan will act like a little Dymo and send voltage back onto the board. After blowing it out I wipe the fan and surrounding area with paper towels dampened in Alcohol. When your done see if you can order a new fan. Of course make sure no power is in the unit and the capacitors have discharged for at least 10 minutes.

I am looking to get a new fan. I havent be able to find somewhere selling it. do you have any ideas?

I am looking to get a new fan. I havent be able to find somewhere selling it. do you have any ideas?
They typically have a label but this one does not. Also now that I clicked on the picture and saw that it is an animated gif file and I see that stuttering motion I am wondering if the DC voltage going to the fan is low.

If it was my Inverter I would would open it up and find out where the fan is plugged in and check the voltage going to the fan with the Inverter running but I do not recommend doing that unless you know what you are doing as you can get a serious shock if you touch the something that is energized. Your best bet is to call the company and find out if they can ship you a new fan and install it.
If the new fan does not work then you have to return the Inverter for repair.

If they say no to the fan then maybe someone else on the forum knows of a substitute fan that you can buy.

PC fans can be had from ebay/amazon very cheaply. Just measure the size you need (eg. diameters of 60/80/92/120mm). You're local computer shop should have them too, a bit of splicing and soldering may be required.

PC fans can be had from ebay/amazon very cheaply. Just measure the size you need (eg. diameters of 60/80/92/120mm). You're local computer shop should have them too, a bit of splicing and soldering may be required.
PC fans can vary in CFM rates depending on the make and model.
It would be prudent to know what the value is for the original.

Leaves blower do miracles.
Periodical cleaning each 3-4 month's is recommended.

Here is a photo of the fan, it says 12v 0.7A. I gave it the best clean i could with the tools i have available but no luck. I am looking for a new one, i will send an email to growatt and hopefully they have one for me if not i will have to look around!

Attachments

• fan specs.jpeg
    fan specs.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 47
There used to be like a couple dozen fan sizes on parts express. I think you can pretty much guess or assume almost all fans are “parts bin” sourced and not proprietary.

Here is a photo of the fan, it says 12v 0.7A. I gave it the best clean i could with the tools i have available but no luck. I am looking for a new one, i will send an email to growatt and hopefully they have one for me if not i will have to look around!
What is a connector of fan (original for model is 4 pin)
If is 4 pin then you can take any one with is with same specs
Size: 80 * 80 * 25MM
Bearing: Hydraulic
Service life: 60000 hours (continuous operation)
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.70a
Speed: 800-4500 ± 5%RPM
Interface: mainboard 4Pin (support PWM speed regulation)
It can be taken from any PC store just see max RPM not quietness.
you search for efficiency fan, not for some nice looking
also can take some with LIGHT :)

Behind the sticker there must be a rubber cap where can apply oil,
а drop of engine oil or any other lubricant with is not so water viscosity can do job

I know cost more, but if found some with aluminium blades take it SANYO for example.

Noctua fans do not have enough capacity they are just quiet
just 2200 RPM

What is a connector of fan (original for model is 4 pin)
If is 4 pin then you can take any one with is with same specs
Yes it has a 4 pin connector.

Size: 80 * 80 * 25MM
Bearing: Hydraulic
Service life: 60000 hours (continuous operation)
Voltage: 12V
Current: 0.70a
Speed: 800-4500 ± 5%RPM
Interface: mainboard 4Pin (support PWM speed regulation)

What is this information? is this the specs on my fan?

this is my first time handling any type of pc fan so i just want to check i understand what i need to find. Do i need any 17v 0.7A fan with 4 pins connector?

I am located in mexico so if anyone has any US websites to check for the replacement it was be great!

Thanks all for your help

I understand now, i need to find one that has 12v, max 4500 RPM with pwm speed regulation with 4 pin

This is the most suitable i have found! looks the same specs just 0.1A less power
Delta is good brand.
if bearing is with "ball bearing" will be better.
Fan is not so different from fans put in Servers cases.

There are so many factories in Mexico that produce for export,
that I don't believe there won't be any for the local market.

The best quality fan's I know of are made by Noctua: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan?size=2647 And they will be considerably quieter than that fan you have.. should still figure out spec of how much airflow the current one you have is though to see if even the most powerful one Noctua has for that 80mm size is enough.
They are quiet but that is due to the low rpm and low cfm.

If the inverter is never taxed hard, it could work. But if the inverter is run near the upper limits of capacity, it will not have enough cfm.

OP you need the right size fan with the same voltage and current and it must have a CFM that is either the same or higher than the original. At this point stick any fan in there that has matching voltage and current and just see if the power supply for the fan is working because if that is not working then everything else is a waste of time. Once you know it works then get the proper fan.

Need a fan ?

I already added your specs to the search, there are several options

That being said I would buy this one (I have an spf 6000T)

Last edited:
Back