diy solar

diy solar

iPhone and Victron SmartSolar

JoeHam

Solar Wizard
So I have a few SmartSolars connected to my iPad no problem.

I’m at a remote site trying to connect to my iPhone. Downloaded the app no problem. Entered 000000 for the Victron no problem.

My iPhone keeps asking for the code displayed on the SmartSolar SCC before it will connect.

of course the SmartSolar doesn’t have a display and 000000 doesn’t work for the iPhone.
I restarted my phone per the Victron help page and still no joy.

Anyone dealt with this successfully?

No luck with that.

Deleted/reinstalled app. restarted iPhone etc. no luck.

The iPhone 12 wants some code that is supposed to be displayed on the non-existent SmartSolar screen.

Sorry, I don't have the most recent iphone. Do you have the old iphone? like 5s or 5c?

No luck with that.

Deleted/reinstalled app. restarted iPhone etc. no luck.

The iPhone 12 wants some code that is supposed to be displayed on the non-existent SmartSolar screen.
Joe, Victron does have sticker where it states serial #, PUK#, PN#. Mine is printed at the side near heat-sink. Look around it.

When iOS asks for the code being displayed it is really asking for the 6 digit PIN you have for your SCC. Of course the default is 000000. Did you happen to change the default code when getting it to work with your iPad?

Using VictronConnect you can reset the PIN for the SCC. Run VictronConnect so you can see the list of devices. At the far right of the row with the SCC, tap the three little dots and select Reset PIN code. Once reset try connecting again and now enter the new code.

When iOS asks for the code being displayed it is really asking for the 6 digit PIN you have for your SCC. Of course the default is 000000. Did you happen to change the default code when getting it to work with your iPad?

Using VictronConnect you can reset the PIN for the SCC. Run VictronConnect so you can see the list of devices. At the far right of the row with the SCC, tap the three little dots and select Reset PIN code. Once reset try connecting again and now enter the new code.

I didn’t change the code and none of the other suggestions worked.

The Victron app sees the SCC fine and accepts the 000000 code without issue. the phone just won’t connect.

I should be able to get back this week with my iPad and see if that will connect. Odd stuff.

And I forgot how pathetic the terminal strip was for connections on the 100/20 48v SCC. ?

The only other thing I can think of to try is to run the Settings app on the iPhone. Go to the Bluetooth page. Under My Devices tap the ⓘ icon to the right of the SmartSolar entry. Then tap on Forget This Device. Then return to VictronConnect and see if you can connect.

What actually happens in VictronConnect when you tap on the charge controller device in the device list? Certainly after doing what I just suggested you will get prompted to enter the code. What happens after you enter the code? Does VictronConnect show the progress bar trying to connect but it just never reaches 100%? Try getting closer to the charge controller with the phone. I've had cases where a device shows up in VictronConnect but then the connection doesn't complete. Getting closer usually helps. I know you stated you restarted your phone but have you tried power cycling the charge controller?

Thanks, I have power cycled the SCC. Power cycled the phone. Uninstalled/reinstalled the Victron App.

Each time the app seems to connect to the SCC with the code 000000. Then the phone asks for the mystery code.

The iPhone 12 does not show the device in the Bluetooth page despite the Victron app connecting, presumably since it is waiting for the code which should be displayed on the non-existent screen.

Odd stuff.

Did you enter 000000 into the screen when prompted for the code? Before posting one of my earlier replies I did the steps I posted and VictronConnect does prompt for the code to be entered. And the prompt does mention the "code being displayed". That's a generic message. Just enter the charge controller's PIN (000000).

Does Victron have a way to check and update the firmware on the SmartSolar?

Also, does the iPad and the iPhone have the same version of the app?

Does Victron have a way to check and update the firmware on the SmartSolar?
VictronConnect will force a firmware update, if available, once it connects. The problem is the OP isn't quite getting that far.

Also, does the iPad and the iPhone have the same version of the app?
That's a good question. If the iPad has a newer version of VictronConnect than the iPhone that might cause an issue. Not sure. Certainly worth making sure both devices have the latest version of VictronConnect.

VictronConnect will force a firmware update, if available, once it connects. The problem is the OP isn't quite getting that far.

That's a good question. If the iPad has a newer version of VictronConnect than the iPhone that might cause an issue. Not sure. Certainly worth making sure both devices have the latest version of VictronConnect.

What I was understanding, is that it works on his iPad, so could check and make sure the Victron has the latest FW installed using the iPad, just to rule out if it is some compatibility issue (between app to firmware), in case the iPad is running older version of the app where the iPhone was using latest version (not working well with an old firmware)... Was just a thought. Make sure firmware and app level all at latest versions.

Last edited:
Back