Is 6 panels enough for this setup?

severin20

Hi DIY Solar Family,

I'm trying to put together a small system that can run:

1. ceiling fan for 10 hours each night
2. 16cu ft new energy efficient fridge
3. toaster oven for 30 minutes a day
4. Some led lights

I'm thinking a 24v system with 6 , 250watt panels. Going into an epever 40amp 150volt charge controller.

200ah battery bank

And a 2000watt pure sine wave inverter

Here are my daily energy estimates:
Ceiling fan - 1000watts
Fridge - 3000watts
Toaster oven - 500watts
Led lights - non issue...

So perhaps about 4500watts a day.

Do those numbers make any sense for energy consumption?

Is 1500watts on the roof enough to cover my guesstimates?

Is a 200ah battery bank way too small? Unless lithium?

Thank you fam!

So perhaps about 4500watts a day.

Do those numbers make any sense for energy consumption?
4500watt hours per day? That would make sense. Get the units right and your guess work is easy.

Have you tried an energy audit? (link in my signature at bottom of this post)

6 x 250w x 5hrs = 7500wh

whatever you convert to AC will lose 15% too.

Here are my daily energy estimates:
Ceiling fan - 1000watts
Fridge - 3000watts
Toaster oven - 500watts
Led lights - non issue...
Fridge seems really high. The guide below might be crap, but it is pointing towards more like 1kwh per day.

1618332697634.png

4500watt hours per day? That would make sense. Get the units right and your guess work is easy.

Have you tried an energy audit? (link in my signature at bottom of this post)

6 x 250w x 5hrs = 7500wh

whatever you convert to AC will lose

Fridge seems really high. The guide below might be crap, but it is pointing towards more like 1kwh per day.

View attachment 44954
Thank you for posting those. I was thinking the fridge seemed way high

I have a full size frig freezer with ice maker and it user 1.4 kwh each day. TP-link Kasa makes a great wifi switch and monitoring device with no hub needed. can be used with Home Assistant
A general rule for panels i use every 200 watts of panels make 1 kwh hour if pointed decent with no shade.

I'd have said, from observation of an operational system, that about 2kWh out of the panels would probably be sufficient to run a larger French door fridge with drawer freezer, at least with a quality inverter. That's probably the minimum you need for the fridge every day, modulo storage that lets you survive a rainy day or three, as you choose. A smaller, energy efficient fridge probably uses less, but the relative inverter idle costs go up.

Yeah, at 120V your fridge is running at 25A by your estimates. If it's on a 15A breaker, shared with other things, then no way. The sticker on mine is 11.5A and I measured it over a week to pull 2400w peak ...and it's 15 years old now.

A watt meter is only $10 and would give you actual numbers based on demand.

Back