diy solar

diy solar

Is 600W pure sine wave inverter enough for the mini refrigerator?

Alice2021

I plan to order a Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter to run a mini refrigerator in our van (Avanti mini fridge, 20 years old) The fridge requires 698 watts starting power, then uses 188W for 1 minute, then 160w running power. We have 2 Robinson 65 series batteries, 650 amps each, starting power. The batteries are charged with the van engine alternator, or a 3 amp solar panel. Will the 600W inverter work for us?

I plan to order a Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter to run a mini refrigerator in our van (Avanti mini fridge, 20 years old) The fridge requires 698 watts starting power, then uses 188W for 1 minute, then 160w running power. We have 2 Robinson 65 series batteries, 650 amps each, starting power. The batteries are charged with the van engine alternator, or a 3 amp solar panel. Will the 600W inverter work for us?
In theory it would if it can take the surge on start up. Why not just hedge your bets and get a larger one? You can get a good pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter for less than $200 online. I have a 3000 watt 6000 surge and only use less than 1000 watts, but it's capable of more if I need it.

Your specifications imply that 698 watts are used to charge up a big "startup" capacitor and (quickly) overcome the high compressor start power requirement by drawing from that capacitor. The differential in later numbers (28 watts, times 60 seconds of draw) being power required to recharge the capacitor for the next compressor re-start?

Anyway, it's typical for fridge units to need more than 7x the "run" power, in order to accomplish start-up. I'd only consider an Inverter rated at more than 10x "peak power", in comparison to your 1-minute rated consumption. From 188 watts 1-minute rated consumption, that's 1880 watts:
  • A "1000 continuous/2000 surge" Inverter can possibly do the job (but maybe not);
  • A "1500 / 3000" Inverter can almost definitely do the job;
  • A "600" watt Inverter, presuming peak capability of only 900-1200 watts, is likely inadequate.
So I'm 100% with Minimoose: I'd want to buy (at least) a "1500 watt" Inverter with 3000 Surge for this fridge, avoiding "excess strain" on that Inverter.

Last edited:
Maybe consider a new mini fridge also. My stand up freezer uses less wattage than that.

Freezer=140 start 100 running
Regular fridge= 120 start 85 running
Mini fridge=70 start 64 running

All of this was measured with a killawatt meter so probably doesn't account for surge, but you can see that I can easily run all three on my 3000 watt inverter and more if needed. For that matter I can run all 3 easily on my Ecoflow Delta 1300. It has a built in 1800 watt inverter.

I have a Xantrex PROWATT SW 600 inverter. Constant run rating is 540W. While it does have a double-start watt-rating, generally that window is extremely short - like a second or two. I would be willing to bet my bottom dollar it won't start your fridge. At about 4.5A draw it just shuts off with a beep.

Otherwise it's a nice unit, easy to operate, the remote switch is convenient, and they're pretty cheap - I gave $150 from invertersrus.com via ebay.
My primary refrigeration is a Norcold gas-aborption RV fridge that runs on shorepower or LPG - this is a 2005 Winnebago.

I also just purchased a Bouge RV 12/120V compressor cooler/refrigerator/freezer. While it may not be quite big enough for your use, there are plenty of other options. The reason I mention this is that it runs on 60W fast-cool or 45W 'eco-mode' - 12V!

There are plenty of alternatives for this type of unit as well, larger, various configurations, some high dollar, some cheaper, and front-open styles too. Popular models from Dometic, ARB, Iceco, and a host of others - browse on amazon.

Another option would be a portable power unit, like a EcoFlow, Bluetti, Jackery, etc. I also just got a EF Delta Mini - it will power up appliances up to 1800W, with 882Wh of reserve power, or about 245A at 12V - my DIY lifepo pack is 230A, so it's pretty powerful and flexible, 23lbs, and about the size of a regular battery. Wife wanted to run her hair dryer-brush and the mini Mr. Coffee - neither will run on the Xantrex.

You could run your fridge off one of those and recharge it with your alternator. Plus use it for all kinds of other power needs.

Or just get a bigger inverter and cross your fingers. ;)

Last edited:
The max surge vs. steady state ratio for Grainger gens & such is 1.5:1 and yet these products sell, so I assume the startup surge contains so little energy & is so brief that most sources don't notice it.

In theory it would if it can take the surge on start up. Why not just hedge your bets and get a larger one? You can get a good pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter for less than $200 online. I have a 3000 watt 6000 surge and only use less than 1000 watts, but it's capable of more if I need it.
I contact with VOLTWORKS inverter on amazon,and they suggest me to choose a 1000W or 1500W pure sine wave inverter, 1500W will be better for surge start. They also tell me their VOLTWORKS 1500W Pure sine wave inverter will be in promotion next week from Monday,and price will be close to Minimoose said $200,so I will wait for better price then

Nothing mini about the start surge on these mini-fridges. I give it 50/50 chance. Oversize the DC power connection for best surge performance.

I contact with VOLTWORKS inverter on amazon,and they suggest me to choose a 1000W or 1500W pure sine wave inverter, 1500W will be better for surge start. They also tell me their VOLTWORKS 1500W Pure sine wave inverter will be in promotion next week from Monday,and price will be close to Minimoose said $200,so I will wait for better price then
I just noticed that the same inverter I got a little over a year ago is $45 more now. prices are going up!

I just noticed that the same inverter I got a little over a year ago is $45 more now. prices are going up!
It is said that the materials have increased a lot in the past two years, and the sea freight has also increased a lot. The prices of many commodities in our nearby supermarkets have increased. So I'm looking forward to the inverter promotion next week.

Back