diy solar

diy solar

Is a 2 wire start generator the same as a remote start generator?

John1

Thanks

I would say yes....do you have a certain brand of generator and transfer switch you are trying to use?

I would say yes....do you have a certain brand of generator and transfer switch you are trying to use?
Actually not yet... but my main focus is to ensure the generator can auto start when the battery goes below a certain level and auto stops when the battery is recharged. Obviously only necessary for extended periods when there is not enough sun for the solar panels.

On a normal 2 wire start the wires are connected together by a relay in a transfer switch/hybrid inverter. As long as the relay stays on the generator starts and stays running.

Thanks... does that mean a normal remote start module (fitted to the generator) for a remote control (single push) could easily be modified by locating the start wires in the module and connecting it to the transfer switch/hybrid inverter?

Thanks... after looking through some of the other threads I see newbostonst says that the generator connected to TS/hybrid inverter will run for as long as the "2 wires" are connected. Might that mean that the single press remote control on/off module would be incompatible? Or it could be compatible but a little tricky wiring of the module is necessary?

Double-check it has an automatic choke ;-)

This is the inverter spec sheet which I hope to use with a generator that will auto start/stop subject to battery levels. Will I require a transfer switch or controller of some sort to fit between the two? Thanks

Attachments

• spec sheet of the inverter.pdf
    330.1 KB · Views: 40
The spec sheet says it can take an input of the grid or a generator. I don't think it has the capability to give a start command to a generator. Looks like you have to start the generator manually and then the inverter will start working.

Thanks newbostonconst! Yes that was my suspicion. Are you aware of a device that I can fit in-between the generator and the inverter (I sent the spec sheet for) or even the generator and the battery that could do the job? OR failing that can you recommend an inverter that has the req capability?

Thanks
-2 wire start would indicate that the generator is capable of receiving a signal on those 2 wires and starting up. (various amounts of automated starting are included here including over crank protections/ auto choke etc)
- remote start can mean, a big box store generator has a bluetooth dongle that you hold and press the button from inside the house after configuring the generator to run, manually turning on fuel/ turning on the on switch etc.

I would not interpret "remote start" to mean it accepts 2 physical wire input unless it explicitly stats that.

Thanks for that schmism - the remote start machine to which I was referring fits your description 1.

I bought the Wgen7500DF, $900 on Amazon, it has an auto start feature but it’s NOT “Two Wire” ready. With some tweaking it can be made to auto start with a command from my inverter.
I was under pressure to grab anything I could because it couldn’t pump water due to my Generac dying.
If I was made of money, I’d a bought a Honda.

I am looking for a way to start a generator remotely, either through 2-wire (NO/NC) with a solar inverter, or with home assist and some modbus/rs232 thingy. The obstacle is that I am looking for a generator in Ecuador and I find the Honda EU30iS With 2 Wire Auto Start for 5000 dollars way to expensive. I also don't think I will need a inverter generator, as I want to hook it up to my Solar Inverter just to charge batteries and then turn it off again.

Ecuador sells Yamaha and Honda generators. My budget is around 1000/1500 for a generator, parallel connection is a plus so I can use two as fail over.

Any recommendations?

I bought the Wgen7500DF, $900 on Amazon, it has an auto start feature but it’s NOT “Two Wire” ready. With some tweaking it can be made to auto start with a command from my inverter.
I was under pressure to grab anything I could because it couldn’t pump water due to my Generac dying.
If I was made of money, I’d a bought a Honda.
Were you able to tweak it to auto-start?

Back