diy solar

diy solar

Is a 24v solar system too much/little for a small tv/ monitor and Xbox?

Nichole

Hello, I'm new to solar and know next to nothing about electricity. I am thinking about putting 4 100w panels on a 5x8 cargo RV. I will be using solar when I am off-road camping. I will use it for lights mainly but I would like to play games on occasion as well. Will a 24v system be enough?

24v system is fine, but if you plan to run 12v items in the trailer you'll need to step the voltage down from 24v to 12v. In your situation this may not be a big deal. In a regular RV it is a big deal since all the important components - furnace, water heater, refrigerator, water pump - all require 12v.

Some LED lights will work on 24v, just make sure of their specifications.

24v system is fine, but if you plan to run 12v items in the trailer you'll need to step the voltage down from 24v to 12v. In your situation this may not be a big deal. In a regular RV it is a big deal since all the important components - furnace, water heater, refrigerator, water pump - all require 12v.

Some LED lights will work on 24v, just make sure of their specifications.
Thank you! will I be able to use a 12v setup?

The load you've outlined isn't much, so it doesn't warrant a 24v system. You can get by with 12v just fine. The battery system needs to be capable of handling a day or two without the sun.

The load you've outlined isn't much, so it doesn't warrant a 24v system. You can get by with 12v just fine. The battery system needs to be capable of handling a day or two without the sun.
Thank you!

Yes, 12v is a good place to be with those loads. If you are driving around your alternator may be good enough to keep you going on cloudy days.

Back