diy solar

diy solar

Is a solar panel with micro invertor IQ8+ worth compared to string inverter setup

tcj2001

Is a solar panel with micro invertor IQ8+ worth compared to string inverter setup, I see couple of disadvantages with A/C coupled system the installation cost is around $3.50/watt in Oklahoma.

A 24KW solar panel system with IQ8+ will cost me $79,200 before ITC, battery backup options are limited to Enphase and tesla powerwall2 and is costly.

Hybrid System with Sol-Ark Sa-15k, EG4 30KW battery backup will be around $20,000 + 12kw solar panel cost may be around $10,000 (Battery backup should provide the rest of power needed) + the installation cost and permit and other stuffs

Let me know your view which would be a better option.

Last edited:
I'm not expert but I would stay far far away from Tesla. The IQ8's are cool because they can do a micro grid without batteries. But you would have to get the other components to make that work. Smart Switch Or IQ Controller. They recommend getting at min a Encharge 3 Battery with the IQ8's on the roof and doing the microgrid. It kinda buffers things out.

We have IQ7A's and just signed and paying cash to install 2ea Encharge 10's and 2ea IQ Load Controllers and all the rest of the necessary components. Most likely last year for the 26% tax credit and we are getting a really good deal. I have done the Enphase university classes and can install myself but to 2k for them to install and pull permits they can have at it. Prices are right on with what Enphase quoted me for the equip so letting them do it.

Nobody is gonna like everything out there. You can't beat Enphase and there support. Take the classes and learn about there stuff. I don't work for them I just really like there product. I'm a Chief Electronic Tech offshore and work part time on Aircraft Simulators.

Good luck there is alot of options out there. Me I would not own anything Tesla or Solar Edge. Most installers around here have stopped offering Solar Edge and Tesla.

I would get more quotes. Beat them down it's like buying a used car. There is plenty of wiggle room.

Save up pay cash for stuff saves you lots of money. There will be the Enphase haters out there do your own homework and do what you feel comfortable with. Just like with anything. We are very happy with our system and what we paid for it.

Don't have that buyers remorse because you over payed for something...

:)

Last edited:
Wow that first on is expensive. Hope you stick around a while and maybe save a bucket of money.\

Something to be aware of with enphase. They seem to hate their customers.2290591D-C2C4-44B1-988B-24E48710348A.jpeg

A 24KW solar panel system with IQ8+ will cost me $79,200 before ITC, battery backup options are limited to Enphase and tesla powerwall2 and is costly.
That cost alone is $3.30 per Watt. Depending on where in the Country, I would expect a system of that size to be under $3.00 per Watt.
Also worth mentioning is that a future battery backup is not limited to Enphase or Tesla Powerwall. The Enphase solution may be integrated with their proprietary communication but the Powerwall uses generic AC coupling which is available from almost any well designed hybrid inverter.

I'm not expert but I would stay far far away from Tesla.
I am not an expert or necessarily a Tesla Fanboy but Tesla does offer a fairly well integrated solution at a value basis that is competitive with similar offerings. i would be interested in some numbers from your installation to check whether my statement above is still relevant? How much storage did you add and what was the cost?
NOTE: A quick search reveals a 10 kWh Encharge system could be purchased online for $11,000, If I included your $2,000 estimate for installation that would be $13,000 for a 10 kWh system. Does that sound about right?

I have seen examples of Powerwall installations ranging from $12-17,000 with 13 kWh of storage. No doubt there are some dissatisfied customers but their user base is also very large so i would expect some level of grumbling. Several years ago I had a quote for two Powerwalls including a California SGIP grant. Ultimately I concluded I could get a better value with a DIY hybrid solution. My 5kW Ouback Skybox with 42 kWh of storage cost me less than $12,000.

Last edited:
I hear good things about enphase systems. Out of my price range. But also, the warranty is basically “we’ll warrant you if we want.” That’s not great in my mind. So easy to do better.

I am not an expert or necessarily a Tesla Fanboy but Tesla does offer a fairly well integrated solution at a value basis that is competitive with similar offerings. i would be interested in some numbers from your installation to check whether my statement above is still relevant? How much storage did you add and what was the cost?
NOTE: A quick search reveals a 10 kWh Encharge system could be purchased online for $11,000, If I included your $2,000 estimate for installation that would be $13,000 for a 10 kWh system. Does that sound about right?

I have seen examples of Powerwall installations ranging from $12-17,000 with 13 kWh of storage. No doubt there are some dissatisfied customers but their user base is also very large so i would expect some level of grumbling. Several years ago I had a quote for two Powerwalls including a California SGIP grant. Ultimately I concluded I could get a better value with a DIY hybrid solution. My 5kW Ouback Skybox with 42 kWh of storage cost me less than $12,000.
I mainly said this because there batteries have cobalt in them. I have heard horror stories. I would not want them in or on my house. Maybe in a field around 100 feet away. LOL

Something to be aware of with enphase. They seem to hate their customers.View attachment 102433

Hi, I'm thinking about microinverters. And Enphase is almost the only serious western manufacturer. I've been looking at Enphase products for a couple of months now and I have a positive impression of the products. But the warranty... I live in Europe and here the warranty terms in the picture are illegal. Warranty is always product specific. Enphase's warranty terms are reminiscent of the way Apple does things. Silly warranty terms do not inspire confidence... and 25 years is a long time to trust, anyway Enphase is a pretty marginal product in Europe, especially in Finland where I live. If I want Enphase products I have to buy them from Germany or Holland for example. And take care of the warranties through them. In Europe, a warranty issued in one EU country is valid in all EU countries.

EU warranty

Last edited:
Is a solar panel with micro invertor IQ8+ worth compared to string inverter setup, I see couple of disadvantages with A/C coupled system the installation cost is around $3.50/watt in Oklahoma.

Hybrid System with Sol-Ark Sa-15k, EG4 30KW battery backup will be around $20,000 + 12kw solar panel cost may be around $10,000 (Battery backup should provide the rest of power needed) + the installation cost and permit and other stuffs

Let me know your view which would be a better option.
Roof or ground mount?

I have a 7.9kW Enphase IQ7 system AC coupled to an Outback Skybox. Another member here has them coupled to a Schneider. If your jurisdiction requires Rapid Shut Down on a roof mount the Enphase may be cost effective. A SolArk is one of the more expensive hybrid inverters out there. It is UL approved.

Back