diy solar

diy solar

Is anyone using Hubitat z-wave automation to control dump/diversion loads?

GVSolar

Solar Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Habitat automation device (control hub) to help me automate some diversion/dump loads (like an AC preheat water heater). I am AC and DC coupled and have a great deal of excess power which I am currently dumping (either by SCC reduction or by frequency shift shutdown of Enphase micros). I'd like to have the Hubitat trigger loads via z-wave when light levels (lux) either rise or fall - and by battery voltage - if there is such a thing as a DVM which reports over z-wave. Just starting out - not a competent Arduino/programmer type guy - so I need to use off the shelf hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks...

No, but I have been using Kasa Wifi switches to switch on my EV charger and ocassionally they miss the message to shut down. I prefer hard wired things for mission critical applications.

Thanks. I went with the Hubitat because it can interface with Zigbee, Z-wave and Lutron, IFTTT, Alexa, google and Smartthings, but doesn't need the cloud to work - local instant on and off (supposedly) but its power also adds to its complexity - so its a slow go. Wishing I could find a voltage meter reader that would report on one format or another. Found some meters for reading ambient light - so that may be useful for solar insolation. Regardless, I will have a hardwired switch before the wireless on anything that counts.

Pulling up old thread.....I am also looking for Smartthings to dump load so I don't have to run wires a 100' through my house.

The light idea may work....

I do currently use a motion sensor for light sensing to turn down my thermostat when the sun is shining so the house doesn't overheat late in the day.

I use this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AKSO80O/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NYDSAKYE6KK5DYH25BYB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would really like to monitor power going out of the house to do this though. Is there anyone that has interfaced an energy monitor to Smartthings?

I Love my Hubitat still using C4 version. But I have not been using it for what you have spoke about above.

I found one that I can use. Will report on how good it works once it comes in. $95

I found one that I can use. Will report on how good it works once it comes in. $95

Great. Let us know - come summer I will need another dump load and I'd like to fire it based on incoming AC coupled solar. Best.

Back