diy solar

diy solar

Is battery equalizer required for batteries in series?

Yes, the specs are right. Up to 60v DC and up to 300 amps. Would I use it? Probably not. I paid five times that for a Blue Seas disconnect switch. Now maybe I overpaid, but Blue Seas is a trusted vendor here on the forum. I would be reluctant to put my trust in a $10 disconnect switch. If you used the switch only when there was no load/charge it would work. But that one time that you need to shutdown the system under a heavy load/charge? I think the potential in your system is beyond what that $10 switch can handle.

Yes, the specs are right. Up to 60v DC and up to 300 amps. Would I use it? Probably not. I paid five times that for a Blue Seas disconnect switch. Now maybe I overpaid, but Blue Seas is a trusted vendor here on the forum. I would be reluctant to put my trust in a $10 disconnect switch. If you used the switch only when there was no load/charge it would work. But that one time that you need to shutdown the system under a heavy load/charge? I think the potential in your system is beyond what that $10 switch can handle.
I also doubt that switching it under load would be a good idea, I think just isolation AFTER all loads are turned off. I think there was a thread in the forum on the difference between disconnects and isolation. I can see paying five times more for one you can switch under load.

Last edited:
They do not show a price, but I think these breakers are expensive? Also, they look like they are for the output side of the PV modules, not a 48VDC battery set?

They do not show a price, but I think these breakers are expensive? Also, they look like they are for the output side of the PV modules, not a 48VDC battery set?
If you want a quality DC breaker for your battery system, then expect to pay some money. DC breakers are not something to cheap out on.
How much was spent on batteries and inverter/charge controller?

500V 250A 2 Pole DC IP65 DC Circuit Breaker (they come with an outdoor rated enclosure):

It retails in Australia for ~$A169 including the enclosure which is about US$110. Pretty common for stuff to cost more here than there.

There is also a 125 A version.

The current rating is user adjustable, so if e.g. you want to limit your system to 200 A, you can dial the 250 A breaker down to that rating.

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives but DC breakers and/or fuses are not to be skimped on.

Back