diy solar

diy solar

Is DIY affordable with comparable quality?

jspencerg

I just priced constructing a 12v 100ah battery using fortune cells. Looking at $800+ when all is accounted for. Is DIY realistically going to save money over manufactured using new cells and components? I'm starting to think the popularity of DIY has ruined the price advantage...

I paid about $950 for eight 280Ah cells delivered to my door. Fortune was on my short list for a while, but then I saw the 280Ah cells and I went with those.

Agreed with the other posters. I've got 32 x 280Ah and will double that this year. There's no way you'd be able to get close to this price point with off-the-shelf offerings.

Seems I'm looking at the wrong cells. Any recommendations for good 100AH cells shipped from USA? Thanks for input

The USA stock is EXTREMELY limited and carries a substantial price premium - making the DIY not all that great.

I built a complete 400Ah 24v battery for about $1,800 with all the pieces. The same capacity in 'Battle Born' prices would be around $8,000
It did, however, require some patience and quite a bit of time to learn and build.

Instead of 100ah battery- would a 250ah (useable) work? Size?
That’s what the eve or lischen 270 to 280ah cells will be. They end up being about $100 each so about the same price as the fortune cells.

Now sometimes size is a huge constraint. I am building a portable battery that goes in a Harbor Freight “pelican” case. I had to use eight 25ah Fortune cells in a 2p4s to get the 50ah 12v battery I wanted in that case. (Even the 60ah fortune cells were too big). I could have saved money getting a bigger battery- but it would not work for what I needed.

Good luck with your project

Thanks for all ideas. I should have added specifics to narrow things down. I am planning on a portable power source using an Apache 3800 case i have. I'd like to fit as many AH's as possible. The 4 fortune 100AH cells were a good fit. I see battleborn uses cylindrical cells, but I'd rather avoid the assembly... I'll keep looking to see what fits.

My eight 25ah fortune cells are going in the Apache 2800 case. I got them at "Electric car parts company" they are in Utah (Local for me). They also carry the 60ah and 100ah cells as well.

Also look on aliexpress/Alibaba for some cells that fit, then see if any of the trusted venders here can get that cell. When I was placing an order for some 280ah's in December, I asked about smaller cells - the smallest they had at the time was 120ah. Takes two months or so to get them, but they are less expensive.

I just priced constructing a 12v 100ah battery using fortune cells. Looking at $800+ when all is accounted for. Is DIY realistically going to save money over manufactured using new cells and components? I'm starting to think the popularity of DIY has ruined the price advantage...
The price advantage is substantial for those willing to accept some additional risk, variability in quality, and much slower shipping time buying off the grey market from China. Its important to note its not an apples to apples comparison, grey market cells vary widely, but they are the cells that manufacturers can't sell as A grade cells through official channels. Most people find them to be quite usable, even when they are often not quite up to spec, but the risk and variability in quality should not be factored in. Of course there are middle grounds between the two extremes, with prices that fall somewhere in between as well.

If you do stick to US stock, I suggest sticking with a known reputable seller. If you buy from a random seller on Ebay/Amazon chances are you are buying the same grey market stock being sold on AliX/AliB but at marked up prices.

In my eyes, if you are only looking at US stock, Grade A cells, the price advantage of DIY is not nearly as compelling as it would be if you were willing to buy from China. Particularly when you factor in all the ancillary costs, and account for the value of a warranty.

The going rate for USA stock cells with warranty is about 1.1-1.4$ per AH, plus shipping. At least from a bulk supplier that's been around for a while.

I have 100ah cells on the way, $178 delivered. I'll put an Overkill Solar BMS on for $125. So I'll have a 100ah batt for $300 that I know the quality. BattleBorn 100ah will be a grand delivered. So there is room in the wallet for 2 more of mine. 1/3rd the price is 3 times as nice :cool:

I have 100ah cells on the way, $178 delivered. I'll put an Overkill Solar BMS on for $125. So I'll have a 100ah batt for $300 that I know the quality. BattleBorn 100ah will be a grand delivered. So there is room in the wallet for 2 more of mine. 1/3rd the price is 3 times as nice :cool:
That is a very good deal. What cells and what seller?

Reactions: Dzl
Amy with Xuba seems very popular. Anyone keeping track of the cell quality of the many shipments that have arrived on the slow ships from China?

Amy with Xuba seems very popular. Anyone keeping track of the cell quality of the many shipments that have arrived on the slow ships from China?
I traded PMs with her. She was way out of the box on the 100ah cells. But I have seen the good deals on the 280s

I found these cells
$47.80 each. Ocean shipping $93.
Bought 8 to create 210Ah 12v battery. Will put in my Apache 3800 case with Daly smart 250A bms with BT interface. Just have to wait for parts to arrive. Thanks for your perspectives.

Back