diy solar

diy solar

Is Enphase's IQ Envoy a Necessary Component With IQ7 Microinverters?

JohnT

I was contemplating setting up a very small on-grid system using Enphase’s IQ7 microinverters and was wondering if anyone knew if the IQ Envoy module is a required component of the system. After looking over the manual for setting up the microinverters and IQ Envoy, it looks like the IQ Envoy monitors (passively) the microinverters and, while that information is important in order to monitor performance of the microinverters (especially if you have several strings of panels), it does not appear that it in any way controls the microinverters. I also remember someone posting a thread on here and mentioning about putting in the Enphase components and buying the IQ Envoy later (sorry I can’t seem to find it again).

If I go this route, I have only two panels right now with the intention of seeing how it goes and then upgrading next year, with more panels and maybe the Ensemble outfit with battery backup. I noted that the Ensemble’s literature does not mention the IQ Envoy at all and it appears that the Smart Switch takes over the monitoring in addition to being a transfer switch. So, my thought is that since I’m starting very small I don’t want to dump $500+ into the IQ Envoy now if (1) it’s not really necessary, especially for only 2 panels, and (2) I decide to go with the Smart Switch later on, in which case the IQ Envoy is no longer needed. Again, this is if I’m understanding everything correctly.

I already have the two panels (to be ground mounted) and was originally going to go another route but right now I’m planning on just going with 2 IQ7+’s (already used Enphase’s online selector for my specific panels), their IQ connector cable, a junction box with lightning arrestor, running line through conduit to my house meter (but not connecting to it), installing a disconnect switch adjacent to the meter (required by my utility company) and then having an electrician tie in the lines to my house’s breaker box via an appropriately sized breaker. With the exception of the additional disconnect, this is basically what the IQ7 manual shows as far as the basic hookup, except, of course, for the IQ Envoy which is connected separately to the breaker box with its own breaker. Thanks in advance for any help.

No, I have 24 panels and couldn't justify the expense. I use the default setting and have no issues.

During setup, the Envoy is what is able to do a firmware update and set the grid profile of the inverters to meet your local requirements.

Without the Envoy, they will just run at whatever settings they had before, and will make power and push to the grid. But if they are in the wrong grid code or had an old firmware, you won't be able to correct it. So yes, they will work stand alone. But without the Envoy, you really don't know what the panels are doing.

No, you do not need it, but it is well worth it... check out my Enphase 20,000-Watt AC system. Since 2013, I have replaced a coule of faulty panels and a couple microinverters; there is no way you could have this level of precise management without it. Plus, I can proactively manage the system with the Envoy's monitoring data — that is, I recently removed some old Sharp 235-Watt panels and replaced with some Hanwha Q-Cell 315-Watt panels and practically doubled output using the same M215 micros.
Enlighten => https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.34.50 PM.png

Awesome system, the Envoy is great, I'm pretty happy with it, I installed the consumption CTs so now I can see a clearer picture of the system and how it produces and how I'm consuming the energy, I do have a Power-wall but looking at another possibilities. I would like to stick to Enphase products but at the moment they are not fitting my budget. The combiner box keeps everything clean and watertight, it is very dusty here but the equipment looks like new after several years.

Attachments

• 20210515_091836.jpg
    20210515_091836.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210515_091855.jpg
    20210515_091855.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210515_091900.jpg
    20210515_091900.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
We have at least 2 users on here now running a full Enphase Ensemble system. So far the system is looking pretty good, but I have to agree, the price point is a bit much.

Yeah, would have to agree with you, but whenever you add storage, you blow the ROI into the unreachable. I think for people with tight budgets, it's best to build in chunks — a branch circuit of cheap panels with IQ7+ micros and an Encharge 3. Of course, the 1-time purchases will be the IQ Envoy, the Enpower MID, and the USB Wireless Kit for the Envoy, Enpower, Encharge communication. I'd also advise getting the USB Wireless Modem, too. I am waiting for IQ8PV, but for those who cannot wait, Encharge plus IQ7+ is fine; it's just your micros will not be grid-forming, and will need the proper amount of Encharge storage to "pull" them into a microgrid when the utility grid fails. Another thing, too, is that Ensemble will soon have generator compatibility so that you can run your generator(s) and Encharge/micros simultaneously. Not sure how this will affect existing Ensemble customers, but I'd assume it will require a firmware upgrade, so that is another reason to buy the Envoy. Cheers!

Hi guys...... I know this is a bit off topic but it is somewhat related to the question of communications and control involving the Enphase 3-ES Combiner and Envoy.

I'm a new member here and trying to learn enough to take a next step in my current grid-tied installation. I am a homeowner and only have a general understanding of electronics.

My installed system is rated at 6.93 kW using 19 REC365AA Alpha Black panels with Enphase IQ7+ microinverters going into a Enphase 3-ES Combiner with wireless Envoy.

So, the question is this. I'm asking myself what options I may have for adding non-Enphase LiFePO4 batteries to the system and what would I give up by not going with the Enphase IQ Batteries which are as you know, super-premium priced? In particular, I'm asking, would adding something like the SignatureSolar EG4's be possible and what would I give up? I'm guessing the Enphase IQ System Controller wouldn't be able to talk to the batteries, or would they?

Anyway, as you can tell I'm not an expert and am at the very very beginning of the learning curve on this stuff. Once I have a handle on what is possible and what is not, I know my next important step is to analyze my home's loads and begin defining things in earnest.........

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
M

Last edited:
The Envoy is mandatory if you add on the IQ battery or IQ System Controller. It is a nice to have with microinverters as the Envoy talks to them via ethernet over powerline to get individual microinverter data. It also phones home to Enphase making it easy to get support and for the Enlighten view to work which has a variety of useful screens and features. Up until a recent release of the Envoy firmware you could get local access to data. They upped the security, the new version requires a token and the token comes from a server over the internet. Not their brightest move since you can't get the token if the internet is down, possibly this will be fixed in a few weeks.

The Envoy is mandatory if you add on the IQ battery or IQ System Controller. It is a nice to have with microinverters as the Envoy talks to them via ethernet over powerline to get individual microinverter data. It also phones home to Enphase making it easy to get support and for the Enlighten view to work which has a variety of useful screens and features. Up until a recent release of the Envoy firmware you could get local access to data. They upped the security, the new version requires a token and the token comes from a server over the internet. Not their brightest move since you can't get the token if the internet is down, possibly this will be fixed in a few weeks.
Yes I'm familiar with the Envoy as a user svetz. I log in to review my system status and panel outputs. So that I understand somewhat what it is capable of. The real question for me is can Envoy communicate with other components such as the Signature Solar EG4 or is this asking too much? How essential is using their IQ System Controller or could I adapt the system using other OEM controllers that do talk to the EG4s? Maybe this is too much like mixing apples with oranges but man, the Enphase batteries are crazy expensive.

Also, thank you for your thoughts........

The real question for me is can Envoy communicate with other components such as the Signature Solar EG4 or is this asking too much?
I have an Envoy and my Enphase micros are AC coupled to my hybrid inverter. I do not know of any protocol that is shared like CANBUS communications that the Envoy uses in order to communicate. The protocol that the micros use to communicate with the Envoy is proprietary.

In an AC coupled scenerio like mine I am more concerned that the hybrid inverter communicates to to the batteries through a BMS or just by measuring voltage and currrent going into my batteries. My hybrid measures the output of the AC coupled micros and decides how to balance the available energy to charge batteries, serve loads and sell to the grid.

Your question may not be asking too much but I do not see the value or utility of having my micros communicate to my batteries in any way that is not already being done indirectly through the hybrid inverter. What is the goal that you want from that communication?

Last edited:
Hi guys...... I know this is a bit off topic but it is somewhat related to the question of communications and control involving the Enphase 3-ES Combiner and Envoy.

I'm a new member here and trying to learn enough to take a next step in my current grid-tied installation. I am a homeowner and only have a general understanding of electronics.

My installed system is rated at 6.93 kW using 19 REC365AA Alpha Black panels with Enphase IQ7+ microinverters going into a Enphase 3-ES Combiner with wireless Envoy.

So, the question is this. I'm asking myself what options I may have for adding non-Enphase LiFePO4 batteries to the system and what would I give up by not going with the Enphase IQ Batteries which are as you know, super-premium priced? In particular, I'm asking, would adding something like the SignatureSolar EG4's be possible and what would I give up? I'm guessing the Enphase IQ System Controller wouldn't be able to talk to the batteries, or would they?

Anyway, as you can tell I'm not an expert and am at the very very beginning of the learning curve on this stuff. Once I have a handle on what is possible and what is not, I know my next important step is to analyze my home's loads and begin defining things in earnest.........

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions!
M
Envoy is needed if you have Enpower MID and/or Encharge storage. If you just have microinverters and panels and are not worried about monitoring, then no, you do not need an Envoy. The Enpower MD has been renamed to IQ System Controller. The Envoy is now IQ Gateway. I have a System Combiner 4c which comes with cellular modem now as well as integrated WiFi/Ethernet. also have USB Comm Kit for Bluetooth communication with Enpower MID. I am running 38 IQ8+ micros with this system now and have a microgrid-capable solar PV sans storage. I will add storage later. System works great. It runs my home during the day regardless of the utility grid's operability.

Also, thank you for your thoughts........
You fooled me, I was responding to the OP and not your post.
I typically read the OP and only respond if by skimming through I don't see a good answer. I figure new questions will go in new threads.

... can Envoy communicate with other components such as the Signature Solar EG4 or is this asking too much?
It would be nice if there was a universal standard and everyone followed it. In this case, I'd say too much.
God must love standards. He's made so many of them.

How essential is using their IQ System Controller
Mandatory if you use the IQ batteries.

...what options I may have for adding non-Enphase LiFePO4 batteries to the system...
Other than Enphase, the Tesla Power wall works with microinverters (you would also need Tesla's version of the IQ System Controller which they call a gateway), or you can do AC coupling as @Ampster suggests.

What every solution has in common is trying to control the pre IQ8 microinverters on the roof as they operate as current sources (they are not multimode inverters). Most AC coupled solutions turn the roof solar off until the battery drains enough it can absorb surges. Enphase can throttle their inverters rather than shut them off, it's nice because when an AC-coupled solution turns them off they're off for at least 5 minutes (which can be annoying if there's not enough battery to solo fire up the Air conditioning). This is also why Ensemble has size limits on the ratio of Encharges to microinverters it can control, those IQ8 inverters have to soak up all the transients (e.g., surge from Air conditioner shutting off).

Whatever technique is used to control the PV microcontrollers, it has to work harmoniously and it's why Ensemble can't work with a Tesla PowerWall in parallel (although one could provide a critical circuits backup load to the other system, but only one can work the microinverters).

There's also a thought that via the IQ System Controller you can use the generator input to add your own batteries with a normal stand-alone inverter, but haven't actually seen anyone do it yet. Theoretically, it could increase both power (kW) and energy (kWh), but a generator must be sized about as powerful as the array to prevent back feed damage, so it's not particularly cut and dried (e.g., the inverter would need all sorts of protection).

... what would I give up by not going with the Enphase IQ Batteries which are as you know, super-premium priced?
Integration mainly, they're also LFP (which the Tesla Powerwall isn't).

...I'm guessing the Enphase IQ System Controller wouldn't be able to talk to the batteries, or would they?
The Enphase IQ System Controller does talk to the IQ batteries using Zigbee.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm not an expert and am at the very very beginning of the learning curve on this stuff.
Keep in mind I'm the same and these are all what I think to be true (but could be completely wrong). If it's any help, I do have an ensemble system.

or could I adapt the system using other OEM controllers that do talk to the EG4s?
Depends on what your needs are. For example, if you want per panel data you need an Envoy and if you have that you can have something else talk to it and merge data from the EG4s.

Anyway, hope that helps!

I have an Envoy and my Enphase micros are AC coupled to my hybrid inverter. I do not know of any protocol that is shared like CANBUS communications that the Envoy uses in order to communicate. The protocol that the micros use to communicate with the Envoy is proprietary.

In an AC coupled scenerio like mine I am more concerned that the hybrid inverter communicates to to the batteries through a BMS or just by measuring voltage and currrent going into my batteries. My hybrid measures the output of the AC coupled micros and decides how to balance the available energy to charge batteries, serve loads and sell to the grid.

Your question may not be asking too much but I do not see the value or utility of having my micros communicate to my batteries in any way that is not already being done indirectly through the hybrid inverter. What is the goal that you want from that communication?
Good morning Ampster...... Thank you for your reply. A couple of brief questions for clarification on my part.

What is the 'hybrid inverter' you speak of, brand, model? Can you elaborate on this and where it rests within your grid-tied circuit? Is this what Enphase refers to as the System Controller that sits between the combiner and the meter and is tied to the batteries? Also, in your case, is Envoy communicating with this hybrid inverter? Sounds not.

Also, which Enphase micro-inverters are you using on your panels? Mine are their IQ7+'s.

Thanks man........... M

What is the 'hybrid inverter' you speak of, brand, model? Can you elaborate on this and where it rests within your grid-tied circuit?
I have an Outback Skybox. It's AC input is connected to my main service panel via a breaker and it feeds my essential (critical) loads sub panel. My IQ7 micros are also connected to that sub panel. That is how they AC couple to the hybrid.
Is this what Enphase refers to as the System Controller that sits between the combiner and the meter and is tied to the batteries?
No, my batteries are connected to my Skybox. I suspect the Skybox performs some of the same functions as a System Controller. It balances the solar generation between charging batteries, serving the loads and selling to the grid.
Also, in your case, is Envoy communicating with this hybrid inverter? Sounds not.
No the Envoy does not communicate with the Skybox. The AC coupled micros are controlled by the Skybox when the grid is down to modulate the output based on the loads and charging needs of the batteries. In that scenerio, there is no grid to send any excess solar to. The micros are controlled by shifting frequency. When the grid is up the micros are left to output whatever they produce.
In my earlier post I asked what your goal was in having the micros communicating with the batteries? Care to answer that question?

You fooled me, I was responding to the OP and not your post.
I typically read the OP and only respond if by skimming through I don't see a good answer. I figure new questions will go in new threads.

It would be nice if there was a universal standard and everyone followed it. In this case, I'd say too much.

Mandatory if you use the IQ batteries.

Other than Enphase, the Tesla Power wall works with microinverters (you would also need Tesla's version of the IQ System Controller which they call a gateway), or you can do AC coupling as @Ampster suggests.

What every solution has in common is trying to control the pre IQ8 microinverters on the roof as they operate as current sources (they are not multimode inverters). Most AC coupled solutions turn the roof solar off until the battery drains enough it can absorb surges. Enphase can throttle their inverters rather than shut them off, it's nice because when an AC-coupled solution turns them off they're off for at least 5 minutes (which can be annoying if there's not enough battery to solo fire up the Air conditioning). This is also why Ensemble has size limits on the ratio of Encharges to microinverters it can control, those IQ8 inverters have to soak up all the transients (e.g., surge from Air conditioner shutting off).

Whatever technique is used to control the PV microcontrollers, it has to work harmoniously and it's why Ensemble can't work with a Tesla PowerWall in parallel (although one could provide a critical circuits backup load to the other system, but only one can work the microinverters).

There's also a thought that via the IQ System Controller you can use the generator input to add your own batteries with a normal stand-alone inverter, but haven't actually seen anyone do it yet. Theoretically, it could increase both power (kW) and energy (kWh), but a generator must be sized about as powerful as the array to prevent back feed damage, so it's not particularly cut and dried (e.g., the inverter would need all sorts of protection).

Integration mainly, they're also LFP (which the Tesla Powerwall isn't).

The Enphase IQ System Controller does talk to the IQ batteries using Zigbee.

Keep in mind I'm the same and these are all what I think to be true (but could be completely wrong). If it's any help, I do have an ensemble system.

Depends on what your needs are. For example, if you want per panel data you need an Envoy and if you have that you can have something else talk to it and merge data from the EG4s.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Actually, the Enpower MID (Rev 2) or IQ System Controller which is the new name is necessary not only if you have Encharge storage, but it is necessary if you want to enjoy microgrid-capable solar PV with just IQ8 microinverters on your roof. I am currently using the Sunlight Backup which for me, consists of 38 IQ8+ micros on the roof, an Enpower MD, a System Combiner 4c (integrated IQ Envoy, USB Comm Kit and USB Cell Modem), two Enphase load controllers, a critical circuits subpanel, and a Rapid Shutdown control switch which gets wired directly in the Enpower (must be R2 model). The system works great, and I don't need to buy into expensive storage, and can wait for the tech to mature more. However, having an Encharge 10 or a couple of them is a real luxury to have.

What is the 'hybrid inverter' you speak of, brand, model?
My system is similar to Ampster's, but uses different gear.

The hybrid inverter in my system is a Schneider XW-Pro 6848 120/240.

Just like most AC coupled systems, the hybrid inverter is installed between the main panel and an essential loads panel. The solar PV system is moved into the essential loads panel. My solar is all Enphase with 16 x iQ7 inverters on 300 watt panels, connected to an iQ Combiner 3 which houses the envoy as just a bare circuit board. All my solar comes into the combiner as a single string, but the box is setup to take up to 4 strings. In my case, the hybrid inverter is also the "Microgrid Interconnect Device" or MID. The Schneider XW-Pro contains a 60 amp contactor that allows it to disconnect from the grid if it detects anything wrong with the power. For a pure backup power only system, it works perfectly. It will charge from the grid or from the AC coupled solar on the output side, but once it is charged, it will just sit and wait for a power failure. It can be set to assist powering your loads, and can even sell power back to the grid side, but once it reaches the low voltage cut off, it will revert to just siting and waiting again. No matter how it is set, it will wait until the battery voltage falls another 0.5 volt before it will trigger a charge event. This is pretty annoying as the online documents made it sound as if you could program it to charge based on the time to make use of solar from mid day to power things at night. But without external control, it will only work if you use DC connected solar. It is a silly programming choice on their end, and they have no desire to fix it. They really want you to buy their solar charge controllers.

There are a few of us here on this forum working on a third party controller to make the Schneider XW perform time shifting and solar energy management with AC coupling. So far, I am just manually triggering the recharge event, but the rest is working on it's own.

One thing I am happy to report is that the backup mode when the grid does go down is working great. There is no data connection between the XW and the Enphase gear. When the power goes out, the XW disconnects from the grid and uses the battery power to produce the 120/240 split phase power to the backup loads panel. The last time the power went out, only a few of the iQ7 inverters even noticed he glitch. I think 10 just stayed making power, while 6 reported a "grid instability". After 5 minutes, they also saw the grid was good and went back to producing power. The solar was making more power than we were using here in the house, so the XW absorbed the extra power and charged the battery from it. I had the maximum charge current set fairly low for grid connected charging, so when the sun got higher in the sky, the charge current went above my settings limit. Th XW then ramped it's frequency up to lower the output from the iQ7's. That should work fairly seamlessly, but in my case, a few of the iQ7's went offline. But when that happened, the charge rate dipped a bit more than it needed to. The XW responded by returning the output to 60 hz and the iQ7's all came back on again. I was surprised to see that happened in only 1 minute, not the typical 5 minutes. I think that is because the grid voltage never failed, only the frequency was "unstable". This repeated a few times for an hour or so. Had I set the charge current limit higher, it would have just stuffed more energy into the batteries. I think the newer firmware has separate settings for on and off grid mode. It should only need t curtail power once the batteries are full.

My system is similar to Ampster's, but uses different gear.

The hybrid inverter in my system is a Schneider XW-Pro 6848 120/240.

Just like most AC coupled systems, the hybrid inverter is installed between the main panel and an essential loads panel. The solar PV system is moved into the essential loads panel. My solar is all Enphase with 16 x iQ7 inverters on 300 watt panels, connected to an iQ Combiner 3 which houses the envoy as just a bare circuit board. All my solar comes into the combiner as a single string, but the box is setup to take up to 4 strings. In my case, the hybrid inverter is also the "Microgrid Interconnect Device" or MID. The Schneider XW-Pro contains a 60 amp contactor that allows it to disconnect from the grid if it detects anything wrong with the power. For a pure backup power only system, it works perfectly. It will charge from the grid or from the AC coupled solar on the output side, but once it is charged, it will just sit and wait for a power failure. It can be set to assist powering your loads, and can even sell power back to the grid side, but once it reaches the low voltage cut off, it will revert to just siting and waiting again. No matter how it is set, it will wait until the battery voltage falls another 0.5 volt before it will trigger a charge event. This is pretty annoying as the online documents made it sound as if you could program it to charge based on the time to make use of solar from mid day to power things at night. But without external control, it will only work if you use DC connected solar. It is a silly programming choice on their end, and they have no desire to fix it. They really want you to buy their solar charge controllers.

There are a few of us here on this forum working on a third party controller to make the Schneider XW perform time shifting and solar energy management with AC coupling. So far, I am just manually triggering the recharge event, but the rest is working on it's own.

One thing I am happy to report is that the backup mode when the grid does go down is working great. There is no data connection between the XW and the Enphase gear. When the power goes out, the XW disconnects from the grid and uses the battery power to produce the 120/240 split phase power to the backup loads panel. The last time the power went out, only a few of the iQ7 inverters even noticed he glitch. I think 10 just stayed making power, while 6 reported a "grid instability". After 5 minutes, they also saw the grid was good and went back to producing power. The solar was making more power than we were using here in the house, so the XW absorbed the extra power and charged the battery from it. I had the maximum charge current set fairly low for grid connected charging, so when the sun got higher in the sky, the charge current went above my settings limit. Th XW then ramped it's frequency up to lower the output from the iQ7's. That should work fairly seamlessly, but in my case, a few of the iQ7's went offline. But when that happened, the charge rate dipped a bit more than it needed to. The XW responded by returning the output to 60 hz and the iQ7's all came back on again. I was surprised to see that happened in only 1 minute, not the typical 5 minutes. I think that is because the grid voltage never failed, only the frequency was "unstable". This repeated a few times for an hour or so. Had I set the charge current limit higher, it would have just stuffed more energy into the batteries. I think the newer firmware has separate settings for on and off grid mode. It should only need t curtail power once the batteries are full.
Wow, great post. How much did your hybrid inverter cost? The thing I like about Enphase's Ensemble though is that both solar PV and storage work simultaneously. The IQ8's will change the landscape of solar since they are grid-forming by themselves. My 38 IQ8+ micros along with an Enpower MID (IQ System Controller), two Enphase load controllers (up to 8 single pole circuits or 4 double-pole), an essential loads subpanel and an Enphase rapid shutdown switch, comprise my Sunlight Backup system — true microgrid-capable solar PV. Still. I'd bet your IQ7 solar system and the hybrid cost a lot less than my Ensemble system. I just think that Enphase is on the cutting edge with energy systems. Microinverters are definitely the way to go and offer a level of reliability that central string inverters will never be able to. Cheers.

How much did your hybrid inverter cost? The thing I like about Enphase's Ensemble though is that both solar PV and storage work simultaneously.
Right now the Schneider XW-Pro inverter/charger is going for abut $3,500 and that is without any batteries. I got mine on a very good deal 2 years ago, I think it was about $2,400 and free shipping. Then you do also need at least the "Insight Home" box to control and monitor it. That is about $380 right now. I have the older Gateway box, that cost me around $600 and it is now discontinued.

Typically, the big cost is the actual batteries. The best deal right now is the server rack battery modules. You can pre-order (they might actually be in stock now) EG4 48 volts 100 amp hour modules at $1,499 each from Signature Solar. 2 of them gets you just over 10 KWH, 3 or 4 would be plenty to run most homes overnight. They are already is a nice cabinet with the BMS and the breaker, and they even have a pre charge circuit built in. I would have gone with these if they were available 2 years ago. I ended up spending a grand total of about $5,500 for 36 KWH of Chevy Bolt battery modules. And I had to build them up into 14S strings and wire up the BMS units and put them in cabinets. But I have the storage of 7 of those EG4 modules at just over half the cost.

The solar and the battery inverter are essentially independent devices when the grid is up. But, having the solar on the output side of the Schneider XW does do a few odd things. Most of this is actually very good, and was not fully expected.

Because I am limited by my NEM 2.0 contract, I have the grid side of the XW inverter connected to my main panel with just a 20 amp breaker. That is all I am ever allowed to back feed. In fact, it is really 16 amps (80% of breaker rating). In the XW settings, I told it, 20 amp breaker. It constantly monitors the input and output power. When I have it charging during the day when the sun is up, all seems perfect, but then a big cloud comes in, and the microwave is running, and we are vacuuming... Oops, that can exceed the 20 amp input. It automatically drops the charge current down to limit the input current so it does not trip the 20 amp breaker. Now it is after 4 pm. The battery is fully charged. I have the XW set to export 800 watts back to my main panel. That's not a lot, but it will do it until the battery runs low, or 9 pm, whichever comes first. I don't have it monitoring my main panel current yet, so it does not know if I am using that power in the main panel or not. A constant 400 to 1,000 watts seems to zero out my meter pretty nicely, until I get the WattNode to auto adjust it. But this is where it get weird. In the summer, my Enphase solar is producing over 2,000 watts after 4 pm. My base load in the backup loads panel is only about 800 watts. So 1,200 watts is flowing backwards through the XW to my main panel. So even though I told it to export 800 watts, it does not take any power from the batteries until the Enphase output falls low enough that I have less that 800 going back. Then it ramps up from battery to keep it at my set 800 watts. I have it down to just 400 watts now because my only big load in the main panel is the Central A/C compressor/fan unit. It won't be running for another 2 months. Well, maybe next week, it might hit 80F here, in January???? Once I ad the WattNode, it will be able to constantly adjust the sell to grid current to zero out the meter. But the setup seems to suggest it will only work with DC charging. I think the only reason is that the software WON'T start a charge cycle from AC power on it's own. But if I have my external controller triggering the charge, will it work? Schneider won't answer. They just say buy a charge controller.

The last cool feature was completely expected. Any loads on the output side of the XW are very well managed. I have the XW set to do "Grid Support". If the sun is up, I can pull about 50 amps of 120/240 out of my backup loads panel. The Enphase solar can supply a solid 12 amps (peaks at 16 at solar noon), the breaker from the main panel can supply 16 amps all day, surges to 20 just fine. And the XW can invert from battery and ad up to 6,800 watts or 28 amps also. I ran my 3 hp air compressor and 150 amp Hobart welder off the inverter output with no issue at all. The display on the inverter showed it was putting out 4,400 watts, and the solar was still making 1,500 or so. Battery current only went a little over 80 amps. And it was taking only about 4 amps from the main panel. And it was still powering all my normal base loads in the house. Figure about another 800 watts going there.

It all works quite well together. It really is just a stupid oversight by Schneider. It has a feature where you can prevent it from charging for a given block of time. All they need to do is add a feature where it will trigger a bulk charge when the block time ends. But the more I am looking at my system, I do need more solar to keep up, so I am probably just going to ad it with a DC charge controller. That solves my problem. I want another 2,000 to 3,000 watts of solar. All of that will charge the battery bank for use at night. I will use the Enphase power while the sun is up. It really does become the best of both worlds. When I make it charge from the Enphase, I lose a little over 10% of the energy to the extra conversions. I run 10 KWH into the XW to charge batteries, and get 9 KWH back from them. The DC charge controller will be quite a bit more efficient.

Back