diy solar

diy solar

Is EPEVER MPPT solar charge controller capable of low temp shut off?

I'm new but saw an interesting trick, your inverter has heat sinks on it because it produces heat, mount it below the batteries
to help keep the batteries from freezing, add a small box or plexiglass cover or something to help hold that heat in.

Im currently using flooded lead acid batteries so no way am i going to put my electronics anywhere near that, the batteries are in a commercial laundry cart and separated from my power shack. I have a homestead and cabin in Alaska but i reside in sunny coastal California where i've seen snow only once in 30 plus years living in the Santa Cruz Mountains not more than a few miles from the big pond.......The Pacific Ocean...my problem is with excessive heat in the summer. My place in Alaska is only occupied in better weather and i bring up fresh batteries every trip and trade them away when i leave, no winter storage problems at all.

I can confirm that my Epever Triron 40a Mppt does have a programmable low temp cut off that does work (tested using frozen salt water). I'm using the external temp sensor.
I'm very happy with this unit. I use the rs485 port to connect to Arduino. Works great.

Can the Epever temperature setting be accessed using the phone App? Or does it need to be connected to a PC?

OP: I have that exact same charge controller and just confirmed that the software setting stick once the MT-50 is plugged back in after setting the low-temp cutoff via usb cable. I don’t have pv connected so I can’t confirm fully but it looks promising.

Attachments

• 83F6E05F-7D5B-41DE-BDF6-8BF3EE346C3B.jpeg
    83F6E05F-7D5B-41DE-BDF6-8BF3EE346C3B.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 27
  • F09E7537-A755-40AF-A29F-A2F915948208.jpeg
    F09E7537-A755-40AF-A29F-A2F915948208.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 7E750B95-2B89-4AF4-9130-BCD8E84A35E1.jpeg
    7E750B95-2B89-4AF4-9130-BCD8E84A35E1.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 27
It certainly seems to behave like a cutoff. My testing procedure involves the following settings;

View attachment 56344 View attachment 56345

Then I confirm it's charging;

View attachment 56340

Then I stick the temperature probe in a thermos with ice and salt to bring the temperature below freezing;

View attachment 56342

At which point the controller and my bench power supply seem to agree that it's not charging from the solar input. (The controller says "Solar Status=Cut Out", "Charging Status=Not Charging", "Battery Current(A)=0.00", and "Battery Status=Under Min Temp." while the bench power supply drops to a negligible amperage draw.)

Here's a recording of that all happening; (Just the software side, since my desk is too chaotic right now to include in an actual video.)

View attachment 56346
I want to make sure that I understand.
IN "device parameter settings" it has -40 listed as lower limit. *This is for discharge AND NOT what I need to change?
In "control parameter" panel, it has "libattery protection" enabled <*THIS* is the setting that does the protecting?

Thank you!

There has been a recent firmware update to Epever charge controllers

I saw that PDF before, but do you know where one can actually download the update and updater program?

I have an epever tracer1206AN (10A 60V). It was purchased February 2022. I have not updated the firmware. It has low temperature charging protection and it came with a temperature sensor installed that looks like a germanium diode. Protection turns on automatically when you switch to the lifepo4 battery profile. The protection is described in the manual. You don't need to software or USB dongle to set the battery type to lifepo4, it can be done easily in the menus. I think if you want to change the actual voltages from the lifepo4 defaults, then you would need to software connection. You can see it operating because the box around the battery and the temperature readout blinks and has a Triangle warning symbol when it's below freezing and charging is disabled. The cutoff seems to be 32/33F.

20221112_075309 (1).jpg

OP: I have that exact same charge controller and just confirmed that the software setting stick once the MT-50 is plugged back in after setting the low-temp cutoff via usb cable. I don’t have pv connected so I can’t confirm fully but it looks promising.
What model # do you have? Did you ever test to see if works?

Back