diy solar

diy solar

Is exceeding 1.64 times the PTC score worth the cost?

RLW

I have Enphase M215 inverters with maximum continuous output power 215 VA. I'm upgrading my panels. I'm not worried about clipping, I just want the most production I can get for my dollar. Enphase and others recommend 3XX watts (215VA X 1.64). I narrowed it down to:
1) REC 360AA black panels with 341.0 PTC for $237.60,
2) Hahaha Q cell Peak Duo G6+ 350 with 325.6 PTC for $195.00,
3) Longi LR4-60HPB-350M with 326.8 PTC for $185.00.

Is the REC panel for $52 more to much over kill? Does anyone have these and had a good or bad experience?

The government calculator, PVWatts, https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ can model this for you very easily. You'll know the $$ comparison of power produced (including clipping) with a couple minutes of parameter entry. Use the "advanced" button to change the ratio of panel watts to AC watts. It will be up to you to decide the your cost vs payback time.

Using pvwatts is a good idea. Two important inputs are critical, STC rating of the panels and the correct DC to AC ratio based on STC of panels and continous output of the inverter.
The larger question is if you are spending that much on panels why not sell the M215s and upgrade to IQ7s? Run the pvwatts on both options and see which is the better long term.
Mid day all the options you are looking at will be limited by the max continous output of the inverter. The advantage of higher DC to AC ratios is faster AM ramp up and slower PM ramp down. TOU rate schedules may affect the economics in areas where the higher TOU rates are in the afternoons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm new to this. I have looked at PV Watts before and I'm looking at it now. I simply don't understand what they're asking for. I would like to learn. I used zip code 78660. For the 360w panels, I entered 1.8 (360×5) for the DC system size, standard, fixed roof mount, 14.08 system losses, 29 degree tilt, 204 degree azimuth, 1.59 (PTC 341/ 215VA max continuous output power of inverter) DC to AC size ratio, 96% inverter efficiency. Is that correct?
I looked at the IQ7+ and I would also need to buy a new envoy. This quickly exceeded payback time.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm new to this. I have looked at PV Watts before and I'm looking at it now. I simply don't understand what they're asking for. I would like to learn. I used zip code 78660. For the 360w panels, I entered 1.8 (360×5) for the DC system size, standard, fixed roof mount, 14.08 system losses, 29 degree tilt, 204 degree azimuth, 1.59 (PTC 341/ 215VA max continuous output power of inverter) DC to AC size ratio, 96% inverter efficiency. Is that correct?
I looked at the IQ7+ and I would also need to buy a new envoy. This quickly exceeded payback time.
You got mostly right, but it wants the ratio of STC to AC, so 360/215 (1.67) for the DC to AC ratio. Run it for each of your panels and see what the difference in annual production is. If you have Time of Use rate differentials then you will have to hit the "Download" button and load the hour by hour results into a spread sheet. I really doubt it would be worth your trouble to do that, but the detail is there.

Reactions: RLW
Back