diy solar

diy solar

Is Growatt safe enough to mount in the home?

Jmbmichael

I have a Growatt SPF3000tl-24 with lipo4 batteries, is it safe to install these inside of the home? I have my solar panels mounted on my shop that’s about 80’ away and originally thought I would install everything in there but then I would have to figure out a way to keep the temp controlled cause in the summer it gets over 100 in the shop and below freezing in the winter. If it’s safe enough to install in the house I can install it all in a cabinet and install some in/out fans cause the Growatt is not quiet by any means. That’ll just cost a small fortune for large diameter wire from the shop to the house but still probably cheaper than figuring out how to heat/cool a section on my shop.

I have a Growatt SPF3000tl-24 with lipo4 batteries, is it safe to install these inside of the home? I have my solar panels mounted on my shop that’s about 80’ away and originally thought I would install everything in there but then I would have to figure out a way to keep the temp controlled cause in the summer it gets over 100 in the shop and below freezing in the winter. If it’s safe enough to install in the house I can install it all in a cabinet and install some in/out fans cause the Growatt is not quiet by any means. That’ll just cost a small fortune for large diameter wire from the shop to the house but still probably cheaper than figuring out how to heat/cool a section on my shop.
I can not show you any other solution that is more secure.
If it is professionally made there is no problem with that.
Which LiFePO4 battery do you plan to use?

Here sometimes it is recommended to put a Santon disconnector on the PV side if it is fare from the inverter.
(auto remote DC disconnector relay ... do not know if there is a US counterpart )

I had similar issue with keeping system in extremely hot shed. Was considering moving inside with me.

Was brought to my attention for many reasons, batt fumes..., was a bad idea. Instead, I took the advice to buy a cheap temp control with timer and cheap little fans off amazon. Works as person who suggested said had worked for her for years.

I hope it's safe, have this mounted in my closed in Garage since 9-1-20 - all Lifepo4. Most off the shelf and 1 DIY Navitas/TopBand build 16s4p, have some relabeling to do now up to 51.2v @ 700ah Joe.
1630135319755.png

Curious as to what the PowMr is for?
It' a MakeSkyBlue w/wifi charge controlled for adding 1670w more power. When batteries are charge i flip 1 breaker off and another on to feed Pre-hot water heater. There are 2 in diagram, one at the bottom, not 12v system.

1630137802584.png

It' a MakeSkyBlue w/wifi charge controlled for adding 1670w more power. When batteries are charge i flip 1 breaker off and another on to feed Pre-hot water heater. There are 2 in diagram, one at the bottom, not 12v system.

View attachment 62015
Very nice setup :)
The 100Amp breaker is not too low for a 6kW inverter ?
100Ax50V=5kW so you can not use the inverters full 6kW (+peak)

Very nice setup :)
The 100Amp breaker is not too low for a 6kW inverter ?
100Ax50V=5kW so you can not use the inverters full 6kW (+peak)
Growatt doesn't exceed 60a to batteries and running my garage never exceeds 50a from batteries to Growatt, usually around 30amps. MakeSkyBlue has it's own breaker to batteries.

I hope it's safe, have this mounted in my closed in Garage since 9-1-20 - all Lifepo4. Most off the shelf and 1 DIY Navitas/TopBand build 16s4p, have some relabeling to do now up to 51.2v @ 700ah Joe.
View attachment 62011
Is your garage attached to the house or is it a separate building? I am in the same quandary as I am in Florida. Inside the house puts it in a controlled environment as to temp and humidity. I have the same EG44 48V batteries and a Growatt all in one.
I had similar issue with keeping system in extremely hot shed. Was considering moving inside with me.

Was brought to my attention for many reasons, batt fumes..., was a bad idea. Instead, I took the advice to buy a cheap temp control with timer and cheap little fans off amazon. Works as person who suggested said had worked for her for years.
Any pics of setup or links to pieces parts? This is the way I need to go.

Is your garage attached to the house or is it a separate building? I am in the same quandary as I am in Florida. Inside the house puts it in a controlled environment as to temp and humidity. I have the same EG44 48V batteries and a Growatt all in one.

Any pics of setup or links to pieces parts? This is the way I need to go.
Everything in attached garage, do have batteries in a ups cabinet, just haven't put sides back on, Joe.
1633870812480.png

1633870877543.png

Never crossed that bridge, have a 12v system for the last 11 years and do all my own wiring, hookup and testing. Lifepo4 in a metal rack with metal sides should be safe, just never contacted Insurance about it.

Never crossed that bridge, have a 12v system for the last 11 years and do all my own wiring, hookup and testing. Lifepo4 in a metal rack with metal sides should be safe, just never contacted Insurance about it.
I have read on this forum that IF there were to be a fire traced back to the battery/Growatt setup that the home insurance would not pay off due to the lack of a UL certification ( https://diysolarforum.com/threads/home-insurance-non-ul-approved-equipment.29445/ ) I agree it SHOULD all be safe but I'm in the "prepare for the worst, pray for the best" club.

Yea, I'm in the PREPAIRED mode too, prepared for the Texas grid to go down this winter, if it's like the last!! haha
Lifepo4 can have thermal runaway, but will only catch stuff around it on fire in which case enclosed ups rack should be ok, just need to put the sides on after finishing this last battery.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm in the PREPAIRED mode to, prepared for the Texas grid to go down this winter, if it's like the last!! haha
Lifepo4 can have thermal runaway, but will only catch stuff around it on fire in which case enclosed ups rack should be ok, just need to put the sides on after finishing this last battery.
I think the difference is that I dont have a garage at all. The house had a covered carport that was added to and converted to a room by a previous owner. The setup would be in the actual living space of the house (my office), the smoke alone would be a disaster if something happened. If you read the thread from fhorst (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/last-fire.25937/ ) it's an eye opener.
As a side, how do you like the Growatt? I have the same unit but the 8000T.

I think the difference is that I dont have a garage at all. The house had a covered carport that was added to and converted to a room by a previous owner. The setup would be in the actual living space of the house (my office), the smoke alone would be a disaster if something happened. If you read the thread from fhorst (https://diysolarforum.com/threads/last-fire.25937/ ) it's an eye opener.
As a side, how do you like the Growatt? I have the same unit but the 8000T.
Love my Growatt, have it monitored by Solar Assistant and that is integrated into Home Assistant, growatt has taken everything I throw at it and never has flinched, most ever powered was at 3300w.

Yes, I have my batteries in a cabinet as well. Do you have any thoughts on home insurance if there was to be a fire caused by the batteries or Growatt?
If you area requires electrical inspection and permit and you did not jump thru the hoops there insurance company would not pay , and all material needs to be UL listed .

Love my Growatt, have it monitored by Solar Assistant and that is integrated into Home Assistant, growatt has taken everything I throw at it and never has flinched, most ever powered was at 3300w.
That's awesome!! How loud are the fans when they run hard?

Pretty loud, after 1 year don't even notice it, it's 20' away on the other side of Pool table, single fan is ok, high load fan was a pain in the beginning.

Back