diy solar

diy solar

Is it a bad idea to insulate LiFePO4 batteries?

steven1955

Is it a bad idea to insulate LiFePO4 batteries in instead of insulating the battery box?

I have four Renogy RBF100LPF12SH batteries. I was going to use closed cell polyethylene foam to give the batteries some vibration isolation anyway, but then I saw the packaging the batteries came in: Closed cell polyethylene foam.

I want to reduce how fast they got cold in the winter, and using the shipping foam blocks will definitely slow down the cooling. But would I overheat the batteries in the summer?

I can always add cooling fans to a battery box, but that does not really work when you insulate the batteries themselves.PXL_20230320_211434125.jpg

LFP battery’s only get warm if used at their max ratings. In your case 4 x 1C = 400 amps which equates to 4.8 kW.

We will have a 2000 watt inverter used intermittently, about 196 amps at 12VDC, and another 10-15 amps of 12V loads that generally don't all run at the same time.

So, you’re good. No problem with overheating the battery’s in summer!

You do have to fix the batteries somehow so they don’t move to much when you slam the brakes, drive to fast over a speedbump or climb a steep hill.

Last edited:
Yes, of course the batteries would be fastened down. The photo was just a fit test. And to show how shipping foam could be repurposed as insulation and vibration isolation.

Last edited:
Back