diy solar

diy solar

Is it okay to exceed max V on an MPPT by 1.2v?

"Don't do it"
But fyi, most electronic components are rated with 5-10% tolerances, and most designs take that in to consideration. However, a lot of the stuff we are buying from China etc. is all over rated by 50-100% or whatever fits the marketing box. That's why the yt testing channels are so popular, imo. I have no idea about the Bluetti specifically, but it is expensive. Maybe film it so if it does go boom, you can get some likes?

If I had to, I would use the calculator above and not run the solar in sunny conditions when the temperature will allow for an over voltage condition. I wouldn't imagine it wouldn't be too often?

When it is during the day and there is any sunlight available, the charger controller/inverter will kick on and will lower the voltage because of the draw.
What I would be worried about is a freezing cold night with full moon.
Not enough photons to start the collection of energy, but enough to raise the voltage past the limit of the charge controller/inverter.

as others have said, do not do it.

best to look up lowest temperature ever at current location. then look up solar panel's temperature coefficient.

the voltage of most panels go up when it is colder. the Voc is usually listed for 25 degrees celsius. if it goes under 25C outdoors at install location, it's very important to calculate the corrected voltage rating.

if the calculated Voc at the local absolute lowest historical temperature, multiplied by the number of panels in series, is a higher number than the Solar Charge Controller Max Voltage Input rating, do not connect.

it is kind of annoying to do the extra calculations. but i think the result will bring joy ??

edit:typo *joy

Last edited:
Back