diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible- Hard wired inverter?

WGL

I would like to hard wire a small 1000W +- pure sine wave inverter into one side of my 100amp circuit breaker box at my off grid hunting camp. On this one side of the breaker box I only have 1 20amp run that goes to 8 LED ceiling can lights and 2 20amp wall outlets. My thought is that I would use 1 or 2 12V deep cycle marine batteries to run the lights as needed. The other side of the breaker box has a 30amp run that powers a shallow well jet water pump and also a couple of 20amp wall receptacles. I supply power to the breaker box via a Honda 2000W generator inverter. It would be nice to be able to only run the generator to occasionally charge the batteries and to fire up the water pump. Any advice or recommendations?

I would look at a hybrid inverter such as Victron Multiplus to combine power with the generator.This Victron will also charge the battery with any extra power available.

I would look at a hybrid inverter such as Victron Multiplus to combine power with the generator.This Victron will also charge the battery with any extra power available.
I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
WGL: a lot depends on the small inverter. Don't cheap out...get a good quality one. Cheaper ones tend to greatly exaggerate their ratings with the result being you don't get the kind of consistent results a person would normally desire. You might consider getting a slightly bigger one, like 1500w so you have a bit more headroom.

The suggestion to look at Victron is a good one. I have a Quattro 3k unit, but the Multiplus would be less money, and well suited. A Quattro has 2 inputs, so if you wanted to run solar and blend in gen-set that works great. If you plan on some solar, a unit like an MPP, Phocos, etc might be good too. Most of the hunting cabins I have seen are in the woods, so solar might be an issue.

Also, keep in mind to watch the rating of any inverter you might choose. Victron, for example uses Volt Amp (VA) which in general is about 80% of normal watts. So a 1000va might be about 800 watts, depending on the type of load.

Have fun.

In the USA a hard wire inverter must have an incorporated junction box. Dangling wires are not permitted in U.L. 458 or U.L. 1741, CSA, or any other internationally recognized standards agency. Many companies offer the same model inverter with either an outlet or a junction box. Some have an outlet built in as well as a built in junction box.

In the USA a hard wire inverter must have an incorporated junction box. Dangling wires are not permitted in U.L. 458 or U.L. 1741, CSA, or any other internationally recognized standards agency.

I doubt anyone is going to be inspecting a hunting cabin.

water pump start power usually is higher than its rated power,the better choose a 2000W pure sine wave inverter, and 2000W inverter usually has a AC terminal block for your connection,such as VOLTWORKS 2000w pure sine wave ,or GIANDEL 2000W,etc.

Attachments

• VS-2000PBR.png
    VS-2000PBR.png
    134 KB · Views: 2
Back