diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible? One combiner box feeding 2 growatt inverters

DiySolarReady

Is is possible to possible to take out solar output from one combiner box and feed two separate growatt inverters that are in parallel? I was originally gonna have one split phase inverter, but later chose two inverters in parallel and had already purchased one combiner box. There are two lugs on the positive combining bar in the midnite combiner box. Could I use one for each inverter and do the same for the negative? I guess it would split the amperage. Thanks

NO, tried that with Growatt 6000t and a makeskyblue CC and they interfered with each other, 2 Growatt's may work, I wouldn't try it personally, joe.

NO, tried that with Growatt 6000t and a makeskyblue CC and they interfered with each other, 2 Growatt's may work, I wouldn't try it personally, joe.
Thanks. What if I separate the panel inputs in the combiner box. All the inputs combine into one on the positive side with the fingered bus bar. Could I possibly modify that bus bar into two?

Don't know, when I mistakenly had a common ground between both Charge controllers the makeskyblue would start showing outrages watts and over heating, with separate red and black from 2 seperate strings all is fine since 10-2020, see diagram, I do have bottom 10 panels feeding Makeskyblue or pre-hot water heater, but keep those panels separate from growatt, Joe.
1622929705900.png

Yes I believe as each search for MPP the voltage and current one is adjusting will affect the other. Both will be searching a moving target.

change to a 12 spot combiner and it will give you 2 pos and 2 neg buss bars to split the array in half for each inverter. (which is what I do for my dual growatts)

combiner.jpg

Is is possible to possible to take out solar output from one combiner box and feed two separate growatt inverters that are in parallel? I was originally gonna have one split phase inverter, but later chose two inverters in parallel and had already purchased one combiner box. There are two lugs on the positive combining bar in the midnite combiner box. Could I use one for each inverter and do the same for the negative? I guess it would split the amperage. Thanks
Yes you can do this. In fact there is a notch on the bus bar where you cut it in half. Cut more material off so that there is an actual space. I've found if you don't they may touch when you put the plastic cover on over the breakers. Bear in mind you now have two circuits, both requiring lightening protection as well as breakers for a DC disconnect. You may also require arc fault breakers for each circuit as well. See the pic below for reference. This is from. Midnight solar box. You can see the notch on the bus bar

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-215023.png
    Screenshot_20210605-215023.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 14
Back