diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible? Solar charge 96v EV while driving?

You are right, anything really is possible. If you are dumb enough.

Nope not dumb enough. Just smart enough to imagine. I'm sure you would of told Columbus the earth was flat and Edison light bulbs were not possible. Glad Elon Musk never met you.
In all seriousness if you don't want to brainstorm ideas then just skip past the thread.

Many ways how about a motorcycle trailer or a side car.
Put a gas generator in the trailer and he won't need solar panels.
That's what Elon Musk did on his first electric car so it must be a brilliant idea.

As a motorcyclist the idea of a trailer was a deal breaker as it lost all the freedom of 2 wheels and frankly seemed very dangerous due to being unable to avoid crazy car drivers. Would feel like I was a sitting duck waiting to get hit.

Sidecars drive nothing like a motorcycle and would seriously reduce the range of an electric motorcycle more than any solar panels carried could add to the range.

Here is the electronics all handled for you

Connect your solar panels to the input, and adjust the output for the maximum charge rate and voltage. Just have to test what it does if the input power falls short. Obviously, it will put out less power, but hopefully still converts what you do get fairly efficiently.

Put a gas generator in the trailer and he won't need solar panels.
That's what Elon Musk did on his first electric car so it must be a brilliant idea.

As a motorcyclist the idea of a trailer was a deal breaker as it lost all the freedom of 2 wheels and frankly seemed very dangerous due to being unable to avoid crazy car drivers. Would feel like I was a sitting duck waiting to get hit.

Sidecars drive nothing like a motorcycle and would seriously reduce the range of an electric motorcycle more than any solar panels carried could add to the range.
My answers were not meant to actually happen I was simply pointing out that sometimes it takes getting creative to solve problems.

Thanks for replying!

It’s not a bike, it’s a motorcycle (‘09 ninja 500) so I feel there’s a bit more room to play with.

Let’s say that’s accurate, I’m thinking a collapsible 9’ x 4’ array, 3ft^2/mi 36sqft = 13 mi/hr, no? They are really thin I would have to order couple and play with them see if my build idea is feasible.
However for now, I looking to see if it’s technically possible assuming I get to that amount of panels or more.

From what I read he simply covered the car completely with solar panels

For now, my Main question is not whether it’s worth it or not.. It is simply,
How do I use solar panels to charge a 72v-96v (20-26 cell) battery system ? (if possible)
Hence I came to a solar forum :)
I have about 660 Watts of collapsible solar panels on the way, should be here this week, they are supposed to produce 8.5 amps total at 75 Volts. Something like these could work for your situation. Once they arrive I will report on weight and dimensions when folded up.

Hi everyone, 1st post, found the community off youtube will prowse, hopefully someone here understands my crazy ideas lol

So I’m planning to build an e-motorcycle, 72v-96v system (haven’t finalized yet, I’m waiting on the order to test the speeds out)

Instead of order fairings(plastic coverings) for the bike cost like $150. I’m think of custom building a body or extension pieces out of solar to charge, so that I drive longer and charge on the go if I’m stuck.

The problem is how do I connect it to the battery without going through the basic process of (solar>chargecontroller>inverterDCtoAC>outlet>ACtoDC>96v Battery) I feel that’s a lot of wasted energy...But is it the only way?

I couldn’t find a 96v charge controller. So I was thinking to do (2) 48v mppt in series(if possible) to get 96v?
Or maybe separate the batteries into (2) 48v packs charge separately with 48v CC?(but that would mean A possibility of 2 different voltages when in series for the (2) 48v packs.

Some details,
I plan on ordering the qsmotor 17in 8kw, starting at 72v and incrementally increase your 96v as I’m comfortable with.(they say 60-80mph, I don’t believe them lol, so I will be testing it myself)

I’m not even sure there is a 96v charger, at least a fast one..
Any ideas? Also I can’t go too big on size b/c it’s a motorcycle, Because things are taking up space quickly, batteries, speed & charge controller, inverter, that are mostly large b/c of the high voltage. So is it possible to approach this 96v battery system with lower voltage to charge it?

Starting with SLA batteries for now, but will switch to lithium as I progress ($$)

Any inputs on any part of this project would be Greatly Appreciated!

Thanks for reading!
If you're building your own EV, why restrict yourself to commercially available items. Go ahead & build yourself a 96V (93.473V, or whatever) panel that meets your needs. Buy high efficiency cells off Ebay, place them a properly sized/shaped polycarbonate sheet. This panel will be safer that off-the-shelf glass panels. Then, all you need is to turn on/off a contactor to charge the batteries; no need for specialized circuits & algo's found in charge controller.

If you're building your own EV, why restrict yourself to commercially available items. Go ahead & build yourself a 96V (93.473V, or whatever) panel that meets your needs. Buy high efficiency cells off Ebay, place them a properly sized/shaped polycarbonate sheet. This panel will be safer that off-the-shelf glass panels. Then, all you need is to turn on/off a contactor to charge the batteries; no need for specialized circuits & algo's found in charge controller.
Have you worked with the raw cells. I'm sitting next to 150 of them and every time I touch one I seem to break it. Don't get me wrong I think this is a great Idea especially if he can make his fearing out of them. I'm hoping you have some tricks up your fat_old_sleeve Lol

Well... opinions vary to be sure.

I don’t see a practical way to solar charge WHILE DRIVING the motorcycle, but with saddlebags/trunk on the bike, storing panels and setting them up where you park the bike may work with good sun, and short commutes...
I don’t think the ninja was designed to have saddlebag/trunks... but... maybe?

300WATT panels, setup 6 hours gets you peak, 1.8KWh...
a quick google search shows they get between 45 and 120Wh/mile... lots of variables, so average 75Wh/mile...
30miles will consume 2.25Kwh... so, kinda hard to replenish in a single full day of sun. Bump up to 400W panels, and you gain 2.4Kwh total from the sun... so, possible...

Have you worked with the raw cells. I'm sitting next to 150 of them and every time I touch one I seem to break it. Don't get me wrong I think this is a great Idea especially if he can make his fearing out of them. I'm hoping you have some tricks up your fat_old_sleeve Lol
Yes, I have experience working with solar cells. However, it is not too difficult, even for a beginner. Practice making small panels with poly crystalline cells first. They break more easily. So, by the 3rd or 4th attempt, you can handle mono cells well. Have a good quality, high wattage soldering iron. Silicon is a good heat conductor. A low power iron will cause you to dwell too long on the joints.

If you're building your own EV, why restrict yourself to commercially available items. Go ahead & build yourself a 96V (93.473V, or whatever) panel that meets your needs. Buy high efficiency cells off Ebay, place them a properly sized/shaped polycarbonate sheet. This panel will be safer that off-the-shelf glass panels.
How big is a 96V polycarbonate panel and how is he going to carry it on a motorcycle?

I don't think Musk did that. JB Straubel built an EV before he introduced Musk to the original Tesla founders. Yes, I have seen trailers by others. Musk knows physics and 15 Watt per sq ft output of solar so he would never consider solar to power an EV. Sometimes knowing the limits of physics or technology allow some people to avoid getting distracted with ideas. It was not science but belief that made people think the earth was flat.

I saw a real fun "Hybrid" home build a few years back. The guy added an electric front drive unit into a V6 Pontiac Fiero. He could put the electric unit into full regen braking and push it with the gasoline engine to charge the batteries, and then run on electric only, or add both together for more acceleration. Here is an article on the car.

So people do some crazy things and some times they work out.

I saw a real fun "Hybrid" home build a few years back. The guy added an electric front drive unit into a V6 Pontiac Fiero. He could put the electric unit into full regen braking and push it with the gasoline engine to charge the batteries, and then run on electric only, or add both together for more acceleration. Here is an article on the car.

So people do some crazy things and some times they work out.
Wow I have been contemplating doing the exact same thing. Using a combo of gas and electric drive. To make a Ram pro Master 4wd. Since the way the deck is you can't easily add a rear driveline.

Last edited:
To strictly answers OPs title.
Possible? yes
Practical or worth it? nope
96v nominal solar charge controller is gonna be niche and expensive.
You will need at least 150v panel voltage, that's 250+ solar cells. Then trying to get them all seeing the sun at once while riding it.
The amount of extra range you will get will be negligible, unless you're really desperately chasing that extra 10% it will give you in ideal conditions

I just put together a system that charges a 96v lipo electric motorcycle battery.

The charge controller was easy.

The panels were a bit more complicated. I have to fill the entire roof of my 159 promaster to get the voltage needed.

But I get 1000w out of the deal.

I could charge your motorcycle if you parked it next to me. ?

I just put together a system that charges a 96v lipo electric motorcycle battery.

The charge controller was easy.

The panels were a bit more complicated. I have to fill the entire roof of my 159 promaster to get the voltage needed.

But I get 1000w out of the deal.

I could charge your motorcycle if you parked it next to me. ?
How big is the pro master? I have about 300WATT on my suburban roof, and could fit another 100... I’m using 22V panels, but could use 70V versions to get higher voltage if needed.

Back