diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible? Solar charge 96v EV while driving?

Have you considered making a Power Ranger suit made of solar panels? Then you can be charging while you ride, and when you walk around. Just carry the 24s50p pack with you. :)

I love the idea but as a biker really don’t think it’s a winner. The bikes too heavy and the panels too bulky to carry round with you, even a collapsible set will be to big. I’ve been thinking the same sort off ideas on charging a stealth bomber mountain bike.
I would think that due to the amount of solar needed the wind resistance of carrying it would be a bigger drain on power than the solar would supply.
the hub drive motor will have a speed already attached to it by the manufacturers. They will also have specified a weight to achieve that speed. The stealth bomber is 120 lbs. the ninja is around 388lbs. Obviously minus some for the engine etc but it’s still 3 or 4 times the weight the motor is spec’d for. How much range will be lost due to the extra weight ?
I love the idea of electric motorbikes, the instant torque and power from standstill to full speed without gear changes slowing down acceleration.

There’s a bit of info about the batteries in the first link, oil cooled battery laminated lithium that took 2 days to cool after a race. Liquid cooled inverter running at 370v.
I realise it’s not quite what your going for but may give you a few ideas. I’m thinking massive 18650 battery pack and some sort of step up converter will need a lot less solar to charge. Some sort of power feed from the front hub so the rear drives the bike and the front charges it, if you find the sweet spot you could drive for ever. Charging slightly more than discharging.
as for the solar in the fairings, take moulds from the inside of the original fairings, wire up and set cells in to the mould and encase in a clear epoxy resign.
there’s a company in Holland that’s made solar asphalt that’s pressure sensitive, it lights up the path as you walk along it. If I remember right it particles of solar cells mixed into a conducive resin. The fairings could be made from something like that. Basically making the fairing one big solar panel. Look at early cbr600’s or rf900’s, the way the fairing covers the frame. Make the fairing the same style, include the fake fuel tank as a part of one side and split the rest vertically. That way they remove as one complete side. Include the fuel tank on the opposite side from the chain so it’s easier to swap chain and sprockets when needed.

I know you want to be purely solar powerebut why limit yourself to that? As a kid I had a dynamo on my push bike to power the lights but the drag was huge, really noticeable all the time but that was 30 years ago and technology has moved on a lot.
Use a permanent magnet motor or a something similar, I don’t know much about this but I’ve got a brain full of ideas so I’m running with it. :)
use the front hub to build the generator into, the axle as it’s drive shaft. The motor spinning round the drive shaft as you travel. Couple of wires running up the forks into the charger powering the battery. It could also power the motor for an acceleration boost.
I’m going to put the phone down now and have a lie down

On a clear summer day here in So Cal, my 16 300 watt solar panels can produce 30 KWH in a full day.
A basic electric now car has a 60 KWH battery pack to go a bit over 200 miles.
So in theory, full day of sun, with 16 large solar panels, you could drive about 100 miles. This is NOT portable by any stretch. Each panel is a bit over 1.5 Sq. Meters. x 16 = 24 square meters of solar panel, properly angled towards the sun. That is 4 meters by 6 meters. Put that to rough feet. 13.2 feet by 19.8 feet. So build that into a canopy and trailer to drag around with a Tesla.

Pyke,
If you push a generator with a motor, and use the generator to power the motor, you are making a perpetual motion machine. It does not work like that. Even with the latest tech, a fantastic generator is maybe 98% efficient, and the best motor might hit 98% efficient. But that still means, you are losing 4% of your power. The extra torque to spin the generator is more than the torque the produced electricity can provide. It is a lose lose. What electric cars, and hybrids do is they use the drive motor as a generator wen you apply the brakes. This works. As you slow down, the energy of forward motion is turned into electricity to charge the battery. Then you can use that power again when it is time to accelerate. Brakes on combustion engine cars just turn the energy of motion into heat and throw it away. In an electric car, the brakes put "fuel" back into the tank. OF course, you still get back less than you had to put in, but it is a lot better than not getting anything back. On a typical 400 mile tank of gasoline in my hybrid car, I regen over 10 miles of range just from braking. More in city driving, less out on the freeway.

It is possible if your "motorcycle" looks something like this:

"During its third race over 20.6 km the car consumed approximately 1 g of Hydrogen driving at an average speed of 30 km/h (roughly 18.6 mph)"
34 Wh per 20,6km race with about 60% fuel cell efficiency would be ~20Wh per 20km or 1 wh/km. Or 200 times more efficient than Tesla model S :)

Pac-carII covered with solar cells would probably get to highway speeds on solar power alone

Back