diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to charge electric car with Bluetti AC200P?

JWLV

-.-. --.-
Has anyone tried using the Bluetti AC200P to charge an electric car?
I have a Nissan Leaf, which is a full electric car. A few times I've come dangerously close to running out of power to get home.

Given that the AC200P can supply 2000 watts AC, and the standard J1772 charger for the Nissan Leaf uses 15 amps out of a 120 volt AC outlet, it would seem that it is possible to use the AC200P to charge my car just a little bit. Let's say my car runs out of juice 2 miles from home. I could just lug the AC200P back to the car and charge it enough just to get home.

Has anyone tried something like this?

Yeah its been done.
3 or 4 miles into a Tesla?
But how long do you wanna wait for it to charge to drive that 2 miles?
Ever heard of AAA road side service?
I got the 600 mile towing top plan with 4 service calls a year. About $140?

I don't know anything about electric cars, but can you charge and drive at the same time? It would be great if you could plug a Bluetti into the power port (cigarette lighter for us old folk) and charge the car that way.

I've had to call a tow truck only a few times in my life. Every time, it took at least a couple hours for them to show up. Once it took 6 hours.

I was in Los Angeles on the 405 fwy near the 101 fwy in Sherman Oaks and my alternator went out. I was lucky to have been able to get off the freeway before I lost all power. Imagine if I got stuck on the freeway with no lights and no power? It was around midnight. Tow truck didn't show up until 6AM. Their excuse was it's a Friday and they were extremely busy. And on top of all that, my grandmother's funeral was later that day at noon.

Now that I have an electric car, would I rather walk the 2 miles and lug a 60 pound battery back to the car with me? You bet! A one hour charge would give me about 4 or 5 miles of driving distance.

I don't know anything about electric cars, but can you charge and drive at the same time? It would be great if you could plug a Bluetti into the power port (cigarette lighter for us old folk) and charge the car that way.

Would be nice, but no, you can't charge and drive at the same time.

Has anyone tried using the Bluetti AC200P to charge an electric car?
I have a Nissan Leaf, which is a full electric car. A few times I've come dangerously close to running out of power to get home.

Given that the AC200P can supply 2000 watts AC, and the standard J1772 charger for the Nissan Leaf uses 15 amps out of a 120 volt AC outlet, it would seem that it is possible to use the AC200P to charge my car just a little bit. Let's say my car runs out of juice 2 miles from home. I could just lug the AC200P back to the car and charge it enough just to get home.

Has anyone tried something like this?
I'm actually doing this successfully with a smaller, lighter, cheaper solar generator, a Jackery 1500. It's quite simple, and I even mounted solar panels on the roof of the Leaf. I have two problems though, the Jackery cuts out on high temperature in the afternoon, and if the Jackery is fully discharged, I have to manually restart the Jackery's 110v inverter after the Jackery recharges in the sun.
There are a few videos about this on Youtube, and one entire channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7AI5UsaaHYChQYecLq0dg

Thanks to all the great reviews of the Jackery 1500, I didn't hesitate to invest the $1500.

The Jackery conveniently shows wattage input from the solar panels, and the power consumption of the Leaf's level one charger (1300 watts)

Attachments

• solar leaf 1.jpg
    solar leaf 1.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 30
Kevin, that is awesome! I love it. How many watts are those panels on your Leaf?

Kevin, that is awesome! I love it. How many watts are those panels on your Leaf?
The photo shows the two panels, and they are 250W each. I have another mystery, even at peak sun here in Denver, the Jackery never shows more than 360W total solar input. To fix the overheating problem, we are thinking of mounting the Jackery on the trailer hitch. One neat thing is that the Jackery will charge up even while driving. Then we can "download" the solar watthours that we collected after the car is parked.

I've read multiple places that it's "doable", but I'm left with either:

1) Having to carry the huge beast in my car 24/7. That's a LOT of extra weight / space
2) Having to ask / wait for someone else to access the unit from home, lug it into their car, drive it out, then wait forever for enough juice to transfer over so I can drive.

... so, ya, nice in concept, but in practice I'd rather just avoid the need by always having plenty of power in my car battery and then in the VERY rare cases I run out of juice, use a tow-truck or other service.

I'm actually doing this successfully with a smaller, lighter, cheaper solar generator, a Jackery 1500. It's quite simple, and I even mounted solar panels on the roof of the Leaf. I have two problems though, the Jackery cuts out on high temperature in the afternoon, and if the Jackery is fully discharged, I have to manually restart the Jackery's 110v inverter after the Jackery recharges in the sun.
There are a few videos about this on Youtube, and one entire channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_7AI5UsaaHYChQYecLq0dg

Thanks to all the great reviews of the Jackery 1500, I didn't hesitate to invest the $1500.

The Jackery conveniently shows wattage input from the solar panels, and the power consumption of the Leaf's level one charger (1300 watts)
Those panels are permanently mounted on the roof? You are not concerned they will blow off? How much do they impact aerodynamics on the car?
If only the car would have solar cells embedded in the roof and charge the main battery with those it would be amazing.

Yes 2000 watts can charge the LEAF just fine. Although if you get to turtle mode or full shut down you may need to add a minimum to get the systems in the car to actually turn on. You may need to add 10+ miles to engage the computer to move forward. Probably want to test this at home to verify. You can run the LEAF to turtle and shut down by using the heater but it takes a while. Plenty of stories on www.mynissanleaf.com for vehicle specifics. Say hi to the old crew over there. My first EV was #2042 delivered 05/2011 and luckily shipped right before Fukushima.

Those panels are permanently mounted on the roof? You are not concerned they will blow off? How much do they impact aerodynamics on the car?
If only the car would have solar cells embedded in the roof and charge the main battery with those it would be amazing.
The panels are mounted quite well, even though I used a $60 ratchet-strap-rack. The car is still capable of 80 mph but this is a neighborhood errand car. Hyundai makes a car with solar embedded in the roof, but only gains 2.2 miles per sunny day. I'm getting 10 miles per day. The aerodynamic drag is not significant when running neighborhood errands, and could be as high as a 30% range penalty at 60mph.

Yes 2000 watts can charge the LEAF just fine. Although if you get to turtle mode or full shut down you may need to add a minimum to get the systems in the car to actually turn on. You may need to add 10+ miles to engage the computer to move forward. Probably want to test this at home to verify. You can run the LEAF toxcel turtle and shut down by using the heater but it takes a while. Plenty of stories on www.mynissanleaf.com for vehicle specifics. Say hi to the old crew over there. My first EV was #2042 delivered 05/2011 and luckily shipped right before Fukushima.
Excellent point. I did this accidentally, and it was difficult and scary to get the Leaf to reboot.

I think LEAF gets about 4 miles per kWh.
Wonder about mileage with a solar aerodynamic brick strapped to the roof.

Apologies, didn't notice drag from the panels were already addressed. Heck, there's panels on my roof.

Last edited:
Back