diy solar

diy solar

Is it Safe to house componants in my attached garage

iceman

Hi. I am new to solar. I have been lurking/watching the DIY videos and have decided I would build the 2000W, 24V Off-Grid our host has posted a diagram of -using two SOK 12V 100Ah batteries (assuming they become available soon).

I would mount the panels on my deck and place all the hardware and batteries in my attached garage. However, I do not want to create a fire hazard. Is it dangerous to run this stuff in your garage? The garage will infrequently get below freezing in the winter.

Many thanks....Mike in Ohio

Hi Iceman! Welcome to the forums!

If the SOK batteries are Lithium Phosphate chemistry, then that chemistry doesn't suffer from thermal run-away and are safer than other chemistries. They also do not off-gas hydrogen as lead acid will. However, getting below freezing is a problem as they can be permanently damaged by charging at low temperatures. See https://diysolarforum.com/ewr-carta/lifepo4/, a BMS with a low-temperature cutoff or buying batteries that heat themselves can alleviate that problem (Battleborn has some self heating ones, I believe Will also gave a thumbs up to another competitor with that feature).

Hi Iceman! Welcome to the forums!

If the SOK batteries are Lithium Phosphate chemistry, then that chemistry doesn't suffer from thermal run-away and are safer than other chemistries. They also do not off-gas hydrogen as lead acid will. However, getting below freezing is a problem as they can be permanently damaged by charging at low temperatures. See https://diysolarforum.com/ewr-carta/lifepo4/, a BMS with a low-temperature cutoff or buying batteries that heat themselves can alleviate that problem (Battleborn has some self heating ones, I believe Will also gave a thumbs up to another competitor with that feature).
Thank-you, Svetz.

My garage gets below freezing on just a few days out of the yr.

After reading your response I decided to explore Battle Born's website a bit further to learn about their heated batteries. In the short video on their site, the CEO of BB said their batteries have a 'cold temperature protection' which keeps them from charging in freezing temps, but their heated batteries allow one to charge and operate in these harsh environments. This would seem to indicate I could get by w/ their std battery since it will self-disable when below freezing. Is that your take? I was hoping to avoid spending a small fortune.

Where do most people who live in areas where it gets cold house their solar components?

Thanks again.

Mike in Ohio.

... BB said their batteries have a 'cold temperature protection' .... Is that your take?
Will reviewed the BB low-temp cutoff and it worked perfectly as you'd expect from a tier one provider. But you can DIY batteries too, just make sure you get a BMS with a low Temp cutoff. You might check out Will's recent milk-crate builds to see if it's in your ballpark, I'm pretty sure the BMS he recommends in it has a low-temp disconnect.

i have a morton building that off grid and i just cant justify the lipo4 batterys yet ,,, i run big forklift batterys and they are fine even in sub zero

temps. i run lithium in the rv, where the weight savings and the temp is easy to maintain since my compartments are heated.

if i only had to buy one or 2 that would be simple, but my pole barn has 1800 ah at 48 volts so cost to move over to lithium is substancial.

Back