diy solar

diy solar

Is lifepo4 battery maximum discharge a battery or bms limitation?

guyroch

Hi everyone,

I have four SOK 200ah batteries that I'd like to install in a motorhome. The motorhome is already set up for solar, but it has lead acid batteries, and since I already own the 4 SOK batteries that is what I'd like to use. The already-wired inverter (2000w @ 12v) and solar charge controller already support lithium batteries, I would just need to change a few settings.

The thing is don't have the space to drop in the 4 SOK batteries with their black box, but I can fit the 16 cells in 2 rows of 8 cells, so I'm thinking of doing that.

I guess I could use the existing 4 BMS in a true 4S4P layout, but I'm thinking of going with a single BMS in a 4P4S setup with this BMS, rated for 260 amps.

In a 4P4S configuration with a 2000w inverter, I need 2000 / 12 = 166 amps. So, it's going to be a walk in the park for the BMS, I would think.

Where I'm not clear is the discharge rate of the original SOK batteries, with its original max discharge rate of 130 amps (source). Is that maximum discharge rate a battery (or cells) limitation, or the original SOK BMS itself?

If it's the cells, a 4P4S configuration is probably a non-starter since 130 amps * 12v is barely 1500 watts (the inverter is 2000w).

Thanks

Last edited:
It's a BMS limit. The cells can do 206A continuously but the BMS isn't designed to. In any case you have plenty of capacity for the 2000w inverter with 4 batteries...even 2 SOK batteries would be enough for the 2000w inverter.

It's a BMS limit. The cells can do 206A continuously but the BMS isn't designed to. In any case you have plenty of capacity for the 2000w inverter with 4 batteries...even 2 SOK batteries would be enough for the 2000w inverter.
Thanks for the fast reply, really appreciated :)

You need nearer 200 amps for a 2000 watt inverter at full power in a 12v system.
4P4S is problematic.
800 Ah seems a lot for a small RV.
Wouldn't two SOC be enough in parallel and save taking well constructed batteries apart?

You need nearer 200 amps for a 2000 watt inverter at full power in a 12v system.
4P4S is problematic.
800 Ah seems a lot for a small RV.
Wouldn't two SOC be enough in parallel and save taking well constructed batteries apart?
Thanks, and I agree that 2 SOK could be (barely) enough... there is certainly a fair amount of truth in the SOK batteries being well constructed. The RV is actually a class A motorhome, and we do go off gird for several days in between locations while on the road, and 5kw puts me in a very uncomfortable limit. I do have an onboard generator that I can use occasionally, and I'm very mindful of my surrounding and I dislike having to start the generator due to noise and fumes for those that are also camping nearby.

Why is 4P4S problematic with a 2000w inverter and 260 amp BMS? I'm planning to use either 2/0 or a pair of 2 AWG cables between the battery bank and the inverter, max of 3-4 feet.

Thanks, and I agree that 2 SOK could be (barely) enough... there is certainly a fair amount of truth in the SOK batteries being well constructed. The RV is actually a class A motorhome, and we do go off gird for several days in between locations while on the road, and 5kw puts me in a very uncomfortable limit. I do have an onboard generator that I can use occasionally, and I'm very mindful of my surrounding and I dislike having to start the generator due to noise and fumes for those that are also camping nearby.

Why is 4P4S problematic with a 2000w inverter and 260 amp BMS? I'm planning to use either 2/0 or a pair of 2 AWG cables between the battery bank and the inverter, max of 3-4 feet.
Because you lose visibility into the individual cells at 4p. Those four cells will be reported as one.

According to the authoritative source all 3 versions of the sok 206ah battery have a "Maximum Continuous Discharge Current 100 A".

Because you lose visibility into the individual cells at 4p. Those four cells will be reported as one.
Fair enough, but visibility into the individual cells is not something I really care that much about personally.

According to the authoritative source all 3 versions of the sok 206ah battery have a "Maximum Continuous Discharge Current 100 A".

Thanks. I guess this is a moot point if the actual discharge rate is a BMS limitation, since I would be using a 260amp BMS in the 4P4S configuration.

If you want the best continuous output a Victron battery with an external bms will be expensive but the most compact.

Back